108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

CTLIMGLIM sysgen parameter

SOLVED
Go to solution
Sk Noorul  Hassan
Regular Advisor

CTLIMGLIM sysgen parameter

CTLPAGES determines the size of the pool and CTLIMGLIM limits the amount of the pool that can be used for the image control structures.

We are getting an error "%SYSTEM-F-INSFMEM, insufficient dynamic memory" in our VAX server 4105A running Open VMS 7.1 and supporting SCADA application.

The current setting of CTLPAGES = 100 & CTLIMGLIM = 35 . Will it be a good idea to increase CTIMGLIM to 60 and what would be it's impact on application on wider aspect.

Pls suggest ...
19 REPLIES 19
Kris Clippeleyr
Honored Contributor

Re: CTLIMGLIM sysgen parameter

Hi,

I wouldn't touch those two system parameters.
I would rather investigate the quota of the process running this application. Check for PGFLQUOTA, either in SYSUAF for the account, or the system parameters PQL_MPGFLQUOTA & PQL_DPGFLQUOTA. Increase them as necessary.

OTOH, your paged pool might be too small, or too fragmented, do a SHOW MEM/POOL and check the PAGEDYN parameter.

According to "the Wizard":
The INSFMEM message can arise from a variety of sources: culprit quotas and parameters can include PGFLQUOTA, PAGEDYN, NPAGEDYN, and potentially CTLPAGES and CLISYMTBL.

Regards,
Kris (aka Qkcl)
I'm gonna hit the highway like a battering ram on a silver-black phantom bike...
Kris Clippeleyr
Honored Contributor

Just remembered that you've already asked a similar question a while back.

See the discussion in thread:

http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?admit=716493758+1119000261008+28353475&threadId=876629

Regards,
Kris (aka Qkcl)
I'm gonna hit the highway like a battering ram on a silver-black phantom bike...
Volker Halle
Honored Contributor

Hi,

the difference between CTLPAGES and CTLIMGLIM guarantees a minimum number of pages exclusively for EXE$ALOP1PROC usage. By just increasing CTLIMGLIM, you would reduce the P1 pool size for other allocations from the process allocation region in P1 space.

I would strongly suggest to FIRST find out, which kind of pool is exhausted, when you see the INSFMEM error message. Can you determine (from the error message), which routine in your application is generating this message and/or which routine call has failed with this status ?

You have entered a couple of threads in this forum in the past for the same kind of problem and I've tried to provide troubleshooting information. Unfortunately, the information requested has not yet been supplied.

Please have a look at your previous entries and provide the information.

Volker.
Antoniov.
Honored Contributor

I'm with Kris.
I strong discourage changing CTIMGLIM value.

Antonio Vigliotti
Antonio Maria Vigliotti
Sk Noorul  Hassan
Regular Advisor

Hi, Thanks for your reply.

1."%SYSTEM-F-INSFMEM, insufficient dynamic memory" -- It is a SCADA system, getting data from field through FEPs. My system talks to FEP over TCPIP. We get this error on few occasions(not every time) when my system locks up due to FEP processes going to MWAIT state. As per the previous suggesions I have checked SH MEM/POOL, which looks ok, the ratio of free/used is perfect.

2. SYSTEM-W-EXLNMQUOTA, logical name table is full -- This perticular error is comming when operator is trying to generate the report( the subsystem creates it's own process, mailbox, logical printer channel before printing)

All the system processes run from same account.

Physical memory is 128 MB, WSMAX is 16K, WSextent of the account is 8K, JTquota is 1K, PGFLQUO is 40000

Output of SH MEM/POOL

NONPAGED DYN MEM -18579968(total), 6691840(free), 11888128(in use), 4315968(largest)

Paged Dyn Mem - 8763392(total), 7115376(free), 1648016(in use), 7098224(largest)

Pls suggest, how to go abt it.
Sk Noorul  Hassan
Regular Advisor

Hi, In continuation with my previous question...

My PQL_DPGFLQUOTA is 32768 & PQL_MPGFLQUOTA is 16384 .
Antoniov.
Honored Contributor

Help insfmem hints increase nonpaged pool memory. You have 18Mb of memory and 6Mb of free memory. I feel your memory is enough. For me you can focus on user/process quotas.
Increase PGFQUOTA and JTQUOTA.

Antonio Vigliotti
Antonio Maria Vigliotti
Volker Halle
Honored Contributor

Hi,

to prevent the EXLNMQUOTA error, consider to increase the JTQUOTA of the user account:

UAF> MOD user/JTQUOTA=2000

The users need to logout and login again for the new Job Table quota to become effective.

Your nonpaged pool seems to be currently o.k., did you also check nonpaged pool AFTER the error has happened ?

In your previous reply, you talk about your FEP processes going into MWAIT state. If your system is in that state, could you use SDA to check those processes ?

$ ANA/SYS
SDA> READ SYS$SYSTEM:SYSDEF.STB
SDA> SET PROC/IND=
SDA> SHOW PROC
SDA> EXA PCB+PCB$L_EFWM

You can also issue those commands against a forced crash, which you should take, if you need to reboot your system anyway to recover from such a situation.

Volker.
Volker Halle
Honored Contributor

Please also consider to check the process pool (P0/P1) of those processes with:

$ sho proc/mem/id=

Note that the INSFMEM error could also happen, if enough pool is available, but the requested byte size is somehow corrupt and exceeds available pool.

Which version of TCPIP or UCX are you running ? Does UCX SHOW COMM/MEM show buffer waits or drops ?

Volker.