New Discussion юеВ

Re: CUSTOMIZATION FILES IN AVAILABILITY MANAGER V2.6

SOLVED
Go to solution
Ana M. Garc├нa Olivencia
Regular Advisor

Wim.

The files modified after changing some customization values for a determined node are:

AVAILMAN.INI
AVAILMAN.INI_BACKUP1
AVAILMANLOCK.LOG

The most interesting is the first one, AVAILMAN.INI, that has information (not very explicit and with a strange format, but it can be viewed) about the node changed. But I think this file should not be edited.

Art.

I don't know if the values in the tables will work in this version but they are exactly what I was looking for.

Karl.

As soon as I can, I'll test the version you recommend.

I'll let you all know if those files work in this version. Then, I'll close the post. In the meantime, if somebody has some information about it, it will be very appreciated.

Thanks all for your help.

Regards.

Ana
Art Wiens
Respected Contributor

10 points for Google as well ;-)

"amds$severity" ... 3rd hit and a bit of hunting around after that.

Good Luck,
Art
Ana M. Garc├нa Olivencia
Regular Advisor

Hi all.

I have done the tests and, unfortunatly, it doesn't work, at least, with the procedure I have followed.

I have created a test AMDS$SEVERITY_DEFS.DAT in AMDS$CONFIG with the following information:

1st. test:
=========

I use the exact variable name it appears in the table of the documentation (it seems it's an old format), stop Availability Manager, start it again and execute the interface; the changes don't appear.

amds.Severity.HiBIOrate 58 High Buffered I/O rate
amds.Severity.HiProcCpuWait 53 High disk queue length.

2nd. test:
=========

I use the current variable names, stop Availability, start it and execute GUI; the same result.

amds.Severity.HIBIOR 58 High Buffered I/O rate
amds.Severity.HICOM 53 Many processes waiting in COM or COMO

Do you think this is ok or have I missed anything?.

On the other hand, is there a way to improve the GUI performance because it's terribly slow?.

The way I execute it is: from my linux station I connect to the VMS collector node, stablish JAVA 5 (if possible) environment and enters the GUI (so, the collector and analyzer are the same node). That is to say:

mypc> ssh user@vmsnode.domain_name -X

vmsnode$ @sys$startup:JAVA$150_SETUP
vmsnode$ avail/avail

Would it be better to run the analyzer on a Windows system?

Thank you very much in advance.

Regards.

Ana

Bart Zorn_1
Trusted Contributor

Ana wrote:

[ S n i p . . . ]

> Would it be better to run the analyzer on a Windows system?

Now with the upcoming version 3 of Availability Manager, I am inclined to say yes, it would be better.

Generally I do not think it is a good idea to run anything on Weendoze, but Java written applications seem to run much faster on Windows than on OpenVMS.

With earlier versions of AM, running the Analyzer on Windows was not an option, because my Windows box does not connect to the Vlan on which the OpenVMS systems sit. Now with the WAN connection it works great!

The V2.6 Analyzer sometimes used up to 80% cpu time on a DS15 with 1 GB memory. The E3.0 Analyzer on a 2 GHz Pentium with 1 GB memory, running Windows 2000 only uses 5%.

Regards,

Bart Zorn

Ana M. Garc├нa Olivencia
Regular Advisor

Bart.

I'll try a Windows analyzer with V2.6 and, as soon as I can, I'll install T3.0.

Thank you very much.

Regards.

Ana