1753657 Members
5636 Online
108798 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Cache Battery

Nick Rossiter

Cache Battery

Does anyone know where i can get a Single external cache battery for a compaq alpha server ES40 Hp say they dont supply them anymore. The part number is DY-64CAA-DA
9 REPLIES 9
Martin P.J. Zinser
Honored Contributor

Hello Nick,

beat hp on the head, they are still servicing ES40s, so they do have to have that part.

Greetings, Martin
Nick Rossiter

oh right i will hassle them some more then, Dont suppose you got any contacts you could speak with ?
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

Nick,

a cache battery is usually for use by a RAID controller, not a server. You _might_ have a backplane PCI RAID controller in your ES40 - something like 'DS-KZPCC-AC' or '3X-KZPDC-BE'. You need to find out that order or part number, so that HP can find the correct spare part.

On the other hand: 'single _external_ cache batteries' are used by HSZ and HSG storage controllers. They are mounted outside the controller's board. Again, you need to find out what storage system is in use.

If the system is under maintainance, there is a good change that the required information is in the maintenance agreement.

Last time I checked the ECBs for HSZ or HSG controllers were covered under the maintenance agreement. Just open a call in that case.
Nick Rossiter

We have a raid 8000 with a hsz80 then the external cache reading your statement was almost like you have viewed the system we have
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

Ah yes... I have worked with the HSZ80 before.

Just checked an old quickspec from May 2000.
The order number for the 'single external cache battery' was: 380566-B21.
It was also possible to order the 'dual external cache battery': 380567-B21.
Mike Naime
Honored Contributor

Nick:

Both the older HSG80's and HSZ80 that I have use the same disk drives and Cache batteries.
(Same BA370 backplane)

I just got 2 dozen replaced last year. They still have them available.

Mike
VMS SAN mechanic
Nick Rossiter

Its ok i have found one at

http://www.com-com.co.uk/en_search.ihtml?pn=269290~add=y~

├В┬г197 they want which i thought is about fa
Victor Mendham
Regular Advisor

Just wanted to say keep track of these cache batteries and when they are replaced, some of them are only good for 2+ years, so usually from my experience in the 3rd your you can expect a failure. I usually have some sort of preventative maintenance performed once or twice a year and note in my exchange or calender a reminder for 2 years from the replacement date to ensure these are doubled checked, for specific servers (controllers)
Martin P.J. Zinser
Honored Contributor

Hi,

actually on the HSG80 I think the controller starts to complain when the battery reaches a certain age.

Greetings, Martin