Operating System - OpenVMS
1753519 Members
5520 Online
108795 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Can ACMS tasks participate in a distributed XA transaction?

Steve Leski
Occasional Contributor

Can ACMS tasks participate in a distributed XA transaction?

Can an ACMS task participate as an XA resource in an externally controlled distributed transaction? If so, what's the best way to do it? Will XA Gateway work? Can I use BLOCK WITH TRANSACTION in my task? Do I have to call DECdtm services?

For example, let's say I have an application component in WebLogic on some UNIX box or whatever. I start a transaction, update a database (Oracle), update a different database (SQL Server), then call an ACMS task, and then update a third database (DB2). Can I commit or rollback and get the result I would expect?
3 REPLIES 3
Richard J Maher
Trusted Contributor

Re: Can ACMS tasks participate in a distributed XA transaction?

Hi Steve,

If you're willing to have Windows MTS/DTC as the coordinator of your transaction then here's one way of doing it. (I've never actually done it with Orrible Oracle and XA but it works beautifully with Rdb-SQL/Server and DECdtm, and I'm more than happy to assist if you'd like to get some sort of proof-of-concept going)

Firstly, read chpt7 (small) in the attached document and see if that makes sense to your developers on the Windows side. If so, hotTIP will place in your posession a DECdtm TID and BID. It is this TID that you must present to the XA Veneer (NOT the XA Gateway and a whole lot simpler) As far as linking with the XA Switch structure etc - It's been a while simce I looked at it and a good Oracle person could be useful.

Let me know if you're still interested (I know I am :-)

Cheers Richard Maher
Richard J Maher
Trusted Contributor

Hi Steve,

If you're willing to have Windows MTS/DTC as the coordinator of your transaction then here's one way of doing it. (I've never actually done it with Orrible Oracle and XA but it works beautifully with Rdb-SQL/Server and DECdtm, and I'm more than happy to assist if you'd like to get some sort of proof-of-concept going)

Firstly, read chpt7 (small) in the attached document and see if that makes sense to your developers on the Windows side. If so, hotTIP will place in your posession a DECdtm TID and BID. It is this TID that you must present to the XA Veneer (NOT the XA Gateway and a whole lot simpler) As far as linking with the XA Switch structure etc - It's been a while simce I looked at it and a good Oracle person could be useful.

Let me know if you're still interested - I know I am.

Cheers Richard Maher
Steve Leski
Occasional Contributor

Thanks, Richard.

Actually, we are looking at several vendor implementations and it's likely to be Java based (probably Tuxedo or something). I'll keep you in mind when we start getting a little closer to a real POC.

Sorry for the late response.