Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I just copy ECO 5's executable over to another VMS box

GohPO
Occasional Visitor

Can I just copy ECO 5's executable over to another VMS box

Hi,

I've applied TCP ECO 5 (for AXPVMS Ver 7.3-2) on a couple of server but missed one server.
I happen to have deleted the ECO 5 saveset last year & have difficulty downloading from HP website (as it kept timing out).

Can I just copy the .exe files across & anyone care to tell me the names of the .exe files?
7 REPLIES
Volker Halle
Honored Contributor

Re: Can I just copy ECO 5's executable over to another VMS box

Copying individual files from a patch kit is not advisable.

TCPIP V5.4 ECO 6 is the current version, so you may want to download and install that version.

Volker.
Hoff
Honored Contributor

Can this be done? Technically, yes.

Will this work? Yes, if you get all the files, and if you get all the files into the right places, and if you set the right generations, and if you update the PCSI database, and if you don't run afoul of any collisions with other ECOs.

For no other reason than this manual update process is tedious and error-prone, tools such as PCSI were implemented.

I prefer to avoid using this approach, and I'm rather familiar with OpenVMS, ECOs and PCSI. I've been burned too many times by somebody's "almost right" manual kit installation.

I'd personally scrounge up a copy of the real ECO5 kit. If the connections are timing out (and the HP servers are prone to this), I'd try hitting the HP site via direct FTP during an off-day and/or during off-hours. Or I'd borrow it from somebody else.

I tend to prefer to keep copies of these kits around, as it makes for a far easier time should I need to recover a server. The acquisition of additional disk storage is a cheap fix for many ills.

I've been known to periodically COPY/FTP the whole ECO kit directory over.

I'll see if I can pull over a copy of this particular TCP/IP Services ECO. (The HP FTP ECO servers are showing their usual glacial performance.) If I can get a copy pulled over, I'll post a reply here.

Stephen Hoffman
HoffmanLabs

Hoff
Honored Contributor

I have not yet been able to locate a copy of the (I assume) TCP/IP Services V5.4 ECO5 kit. ECO6 does appear available. Parts of the ITRC FTP area look to be well and truly hosed, and parts are just glacial. (I'd try this search again over the next days...)

Alternatively, somebody around may have a stash containing the ECO5 kit, or you can start to move to ECO6.

But regardless, I'd not attempt to replicate application of the ECO manually.
Jess Goodman
Esteemed Contributor

I have DEC-AXPVMS-TCPIP_ECO-V0504-155-4.PCSI sitting around here. I can FTP it to you if you post an address/account, or post your email and I will send your an FTP address/account where you can pick it up.
I have one, but it's personal.
Steven Schweda
Honored Contributor

I saw the resurection of the old thread:

http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=1065654

before I saw this one, so I restored the
files as shown there, and sent e-mail as
requested.

Copying ECO executables is fine, if you can
find them all, and if the ECO installation
did nothing more than copy executables, and
if you don't want the PCSI data base to be
accurate. How many problems would you like
to cause at one time?
GohPO
Occasional Visitor

Thank you all, I've just got ECO 5 downloaded, with compliments from Steven.

I've actually tried to download Eco 6 from HP ITRC for the last several days at different hours & it just timed out.

Steven,

can I ask for Eco 6 to be restored on your website as well, in case the security guys came back later asking for more. Thanks

Kindly email me again at golsun@gmail.com once it's available for downloading
Jan van den Ende
Honored Contributor

GohPO,

please review

http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/helptips.do?#33

about how to say thanks in these forums.

Proost.

Have one on me.

jpe
Don't rust yours pelled jacker to fine doll missed aches.