Operating System - OpenVMS
1753488 Members
4384 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Can I make powertem to be the alpha console ??

SOLVED
Go to solution
ChaimBu
Frequent Advisor

Can I make powertem to be the alpha console ??

Hi Guys,

Is it possible to have an Ericom powerterm terminal be the console for an alpha? If so, how is this configured?

Thanks,

Chaim
11 REPLIES 11
Jur van der Burg
Respected Contributor
Solution

Sure. Either connect the pc with the serial port to the console terminal of the system and use COMx as the connection. Or use a terminal server and connect via IP, that's what I use all the time.

Jur.
ChaimBu
Frequent Advisor

Jur,

Bravo for the quick reply.

If I understand correctly, the AUTOPRINT feature of the PT works differently from that of the VT. With the VT the AUTOPRINT will print "real time" line for line. With the PT you activate AUTOPRINT and the PT will buffer all the screen output. By clicking STOP AUTOPRINT the buffered output will be printed. What happens to any screen output while the printing of the previously buffered output is printing? Is there a method for getting the same "real time" functionality within the PT?

Thanks,

Chaim
Hein van den Heuvel
Honored Contributor

You may want to check out a recent PuTTy version.
It now supports serial lines.
It has file logging and print features which may (or might not) be closer to your needs.

fwiw,
Hein.

Dean McGorrill
Valued Contributor

Hi Chaim,
I use the new putty, with a USB to
serial adaptor from my laptop to my two node
cluster at home. I have a ascii switch to
control both my vax and alpha. If you get
heavy io it can crash putty. but you just reconnect. I use powerterm at work

Dean
ChaimBu
Frequent Advisor

Guys,

Thanks for the replies!

Perhaps I should describe to what I am alluding:

Currently we have two VT consoles with LA75 slave printers attached. ALL screen input/output is automatically printed 7/24. These LA75s are OLD and I doubt if there is even the possibility of purchasing any printers today with serial capability. Therefore we are exploring future planning. We are aware that there do exist serial-to-parallel "black boxes". We are also exploring the possibility of replacing the VTs with PCs running powerterm.

I would appreciate all suggestions on how we should/can continue in the future.

Thanks,

Chaim
John Gillings
Honored Contributor

Chaim,

I question the need to log all console output onto paper. I'm sure it's because of "policy", but then I'm also sure that the policy was probably formulated far too long ago to still be relevant. Please revisit the policy.

These days you can send console output to a Powerterm or other emulator window and reliably log the output to disk. It's MUCH easier to find anything, larger capacity and the speed of the printer won't ever slow down the system (or worse, eventually stop the system if it runs out of paper).
Instead of having to file all that paper, you can burn the logs to CD and keep them forever.

An even better solution is a "proper" console manager, which will add things like timestamped output and the ability to recognise key phrases and generate alarms, pages, mail messages etc...
A crucible of informative mistakes
ChaimBu
Frequent Advisor

John,

You are probably correct in your assumption that this is a "policy" issue. Unfortunately, I am NOT the policy maker, and knowing the situation from "up close", I can ivoquivically state that there is a "snow balls chance in hell" that this policy will be changed.....

So ....

Thanks,

Chaim
John Gillings
Honored Contributor

>I can ivoquivically state that there is
>a "snow balls chance in hell" that this
>policy will be changed.....

OK, I'll accept your appraisal, but for the forum's edification, could you tell us:

1) What is the "life cycle" of the paper? ie: where does it go after it's printed? How long is it retained? How is it filed?

2) How much paper is consumed

3) What are the procedures for reloading paper, clearing jams, replacing ribbons, etc...

4) What information from the paper output is (or is intended to be) referred to

5) How is that information located? (eyeballs are much slower and far more error prone than SEARCH)

6) How many times in the past (you choose the time interval) has the paper ever been referred to, and were the searches succesful?

7) Have you ever had an outage resulting from a printer malfunction?

8) How much console output has ever been lost due to malfunction or procedural breakdown?

In my experience, the easiest way to get policies changed is to show those that foot the bill how much the policy is costing, and how a simple change can reduce costs and risks significantly.

Moreover, I know that policies are NEVER changed unless someone actually raises the issue.

Presupposing the answer is, by definition, a self fulfilling prophesy.
A crucible of informative mistakes
ChaimBu
Frequent Advisor

John,

Will try and answer your questions!

>1) What is the "life cycle" of the paper? >ie: where does it go after it's printed? >How long is it retained? How is it filed?

It is reviewed immediately and placed in a box which is shredde3d once a week.

>2) How much paper is consumed

I'd say perhaps 50+- pages per day.

>3) What are the procedures for reloading >paper, clearing jams, replacing ribbons, >etc...

The operator has this responsibility. A carton of perforated paper is always readily avaialble.

>4) What information from the paper output >is (or is intended to be) referred to

The most important output is to review the daily backup and reboot procedures for any errors. If any errors are detected then the output is brought to the system administrators.

>5) How is that information located? >(eyeballs are much slower and far more >error prone than SEARCH)

The "eye"ball"s" have it. I agree totally with your assesment, but it would take me too long to describe the history of this site. In short, the system manager has been around for 20+ years. He is stuborn and quite paranoic. He is not going away within the neer or foreseeable future.

>6) How many times in the past (you choose >the time interval) has the paper ever been >referred to, and were the searches >succesful?

Actually, believe it or not, this happens quite frequently. Just this morning we noticed some disk errors and brought this to his attention.

>7) Have you ever had an outage resulting >from a printer malfunction?

:)

>8) How much console output has ever been >lost due to malfunction or procedural >breakdown?

Believe it or not, not too much. Besides, all the output is logged to a file so the system manager still has the option of searching them. In fact every once and a while he will do this just to keep us honest.

>In my experience, the easiest way to get >policies changed is to show those that foot >the bill how much the policy is costing, >and how a simple change can reduce costs >and risks significantly.

This is a government site and in reality nobody gives a s**t! Between you and me and the lamp post, I really don't think that the cost is really all that much. I would say we go through a carton of paper, which costs $25, every 2-3 months.

>Moreover, I know that policies are NEVER >changed unless someone actually raises the >issue.

The issue has been raised MANY times, and the system manager is adament in his position.

Hope this answers your curiosity!

Chaim