Operating System - OpenVMS
1748235 Members
3446 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Can TCPIP$TELNETSYM processes be 'STOP/IDENT=' ?

bill clark_8
Occasional Advisor

Can TCPIP$TELNETSYM processes be 'STOP/IDENT=' ?

Greetings - i am attempting to 'LIBRARY/INSERT modules into a file 'SETUPHP4.TLB'. Attempt Hangs. When i 'show files/device', i see:

TCPIP$TNS174 00007C83 [SYS0.SYSLIB]SETUPHP4.TLB;1
TCPIP$TNS40 0000045C [SYS0.SYSLIB]SETUPHP4.TLB;1
TCPIP$TNS73 000065AB [SYS0.SYSLIB] SETUPHP4.TLB;1

i would like to 'Stop/ident=7c83', etc. but am a little concerned about offending TCPIP$TELNETSYM...
6 REPLIES 6
labadie_1
Honored Contributor

No, you can stop
- the queues
- and then the symbiont
Hoff
Honored Contributor

What sort of printer? If the printer supports Postscript (and DCPS support the printer), then DCPS (DECprint Services) might make an easier and more flexible interface into the printer. DCPS is licensed with OpenVMS on all recent OpenVMS versions.

As for the question and as labadie writes, you need to stop the queues that reference the particular device control library.

Here is a quick cut-and-past from the old ask the wizard (ATW) area http://www.hp.com/go/openvms/wizard/, and specifically from part of topic (1020), that shows the typical (entire) sequence for this sort of operation (for the "blank page" behaviour that can crop up:

Include a reset module in the device control library that sends the
OpenVMS print symbiont the appropriate string.

$ LIBRARY/TEXT/EXTRACT=reset_module_name -
/OUTPUT=reset_module_name.TXT
SYS$LIBRARY:devctl-name.TLB

If you are using the default device control library SYSDEVCTL.TLB
and cannot locate it, see below for creation instructions.

Use any editor to add the blank page suppression control sequence to
the reset module text extracted from the library. The sequence is:

{ESC}]VMS;2{ESC}\

Where {ESC} indicates the ASCII escape character. (This sequence
is processed by and controls the activities of the OpenVMS print
symbiont, and the sequence -- when correctly formated -- will not
be sent to the printer for processing. This sequence is specific
to OpenVMS and the OpenVMS Print symbiont, and not the printer.)

Alternatively, depending on the particular printer, you may need to
use the following PCL reset module sequence to suppress the formfeed:

{ESC}P{ESC}E{ESC}\

Where {ESC} represents the Escape character, {ESC}E is a PCL command,
and {ESC}\ is the PCL terminator. (This sequence will be sent to the
printer, and will be interpreted by the printer.)

As shown above, device control modules requiring any embedded HP PCL
sequences should always be bracketed between the sequence {ESC}P and
the sequence {ESC}\.

Stop all queues using the device control library, and then insert the
(updated) module back into the device control library:

$ STOP/QUEUE/NEXT queue-name

$ LIBRARY/INSERT/TEXT -
SYS$LIBRARY:devctl_name.TLB -
reset_module_name.TXT

Restart each queue using this device control library.

bill clark_8
Occasional Advisor

New to forum, sorry ! Thanks to both responders. ( #1 ) - Thanks, stopped all the queues which were defined with this library and the problem went away, no 'STOP/IDENT' required. ( #2 ) Many thanks, i need to refine my use of HP Laserjets from within VMS, i have many Older and Newer printers that do not seem to behave the same way. HP1100's to not like the same 'PCL_RESET' that HP1320's do, and HP4's don't pay attention to HP4300 strings. Big mess ! I will try the 'Wizard's topic next.

Jan van den Ende
Honored Contributor

Bill,

>>>
HP1100's to not like the same 'PCL_RESET' that HP1320's do, and HP4's don't pay attention to HP4300 strings. Big mess !
<<<

The way _WE_ have resolved this, is by specifying each independent function (eg, Landscape, or Char-per-inch, or tray-selection ) as a separate module (with a descriptive name, but always the same name for the same function). For each group of printers that obey different steering sequences we create different libraries (guess what: descriptively named).
Next, we defined queue FORMs ( d.. n.. ) by picking the desired combination of functions.
All that remains, is INITing the queus with the corresponding /LIBRARY.

Consistent, easily extensible. Only when a (for us) new feature is coming into use, we have to maintain one library per "printer language", and that is when rigid consistence must be srupulously maintained, but the reward is ease og maintenance, and, more important, ease of use for the less computer-savvy users.

hth

Proost.

Have one on me.

jpe
Don't rust yours pelled jacker to fine doll missed aches.
bill clark_8
Occasional Advisor

thanks once again. yes, i believe i am going to start down the 'setupHP4.tlb',
'setupHP1100.tlb','setuphp4300.tlb', etc road next.
is there any one source of the control strings for various printers, with respect to creating modules for VMS device control libraries? it is quite an adventure finding 'comp' and 'landscape' and 'reset' strings for each printer.

thanks for all responses. much clearer picture now.
Art Wiens
Respected Contributor

Getting back to your original problem, the way I handle the libraries being open is to take a COPY, insert the module I want into the copy and COPY it back. STOP/RESET the queue and start it back up. It should now reference the new library with the caveat that one symbiont may control more than one queue ... those may need to be /RESET as well to restart the symbiont (to get it to use the new library). Also if it's a cluster, mind where you got the library from and where you're putting it back ie. SYS$SYSROOT:[SYSLIB] vs. SYS$COMMON:[SYSLIB].

A while back I had started a thread to find out which queues were controlled by which symbiont and there was a helpful procedure provided by Volker.

http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=941760

Cheers,
Art