Operating System - OpenVMS
1752672 Members
5708 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Canon IR2870 Form setup

Canon IR2870 Form setup

I am trying to setup forms for printing reports on a Canon IR2870 printer/copier that some users recently surprised us with. I found out about them when user started complaining that their reports stopped printing.

I have managed to get simple text files to print, but I am trying to setup form orientation, font pitch and font and tray selection. The sales people claimed it supported standard HP PCL but so far any PCL command results in print job failure in the printer log on the Canon. VMS shows no error.

Does anyone have any experience with setting a Canon printer of this type up under VMS and is willing to share some of their knowledge on the subject?
bob davidson
Loyola University Physician Foundation
4 REPLIES 4
David B Sneddon
Honored Contributor

Robert,

Go to the following...

http://www.users.bigpond.com/dbsneddon/software.htm

and grab the DBS-PRINTERS package (near the end
of the page). You should be able to use this as
a basis for setting up forms for your Canon.

Dave

I looked over the DBS-Printer file and I wish I had something like that years ago. But the issue with the Canon is finding the exact PCL string that it will accept. Most of the PCL strings I have tried so far have resulted in the Canon logging an error and not printing.
Currently the commands are being encapulated. I will try sending just plain PCL strings to the Canon to see what happens.
bob davidson
David B Sneddon
Honored Contributor

Bob,

If you have a manual for the printer then you should
be able to create a CREATE_CANON_SETUPS.COM as per
the existing ones.
If that doesn't work then the printer is not doing
what the manual says it should be doing.

Dave

Contacted Canon and got PCL strings for the printer.