New Discussion

Cant Connect.

SOLVED
Go to solution
Eddy_fj
Advisor

Cant Connect.

Hi All,

Due to a harddisk failure i replace the disk and restores it with the backup. The machine boots well and i dont have any problem using it with the console terminal.

The problem comes in when we want to connect from remote. I cant even set host to the machine.

I did a check and when i do "Sh Line *" in NCP utility, it tells me "No Information In Database" Iam using Open VMS7.3-2 on a DS15 alpha workstation.

Can someone advise me what to do here.

thanks

10 REPLIES 10
abrsvc
Respected Contributor

Re: Cant Connect.

It sounds like you are missing the DECnet database which would suggest that the backup is before the database existed.  How old is the backup?  Was it an image backup?  Any errors logged during the startup?

More info is needed here.   At the very least, you may need to recreate the network information/database.

Can you post any relevant errors here?

Dan

Steven Schweda
Honored Contributor

Bob Blunt
Respected Contributor

How about we start with some basics...  At the DCL prompt enter:

$ write sys$output f$getsyi("decnet_version")

If it returns something like 00040000 or 00004000 that indicates Phase IV DECnet and NCP is the management tool.  If the returned value is something like 00051600 then you're using Phase V and you should use NCL to manage and control the network.

JUST in case, though, you're using Phase IV?  Then you should

MC NCP

LIST KNOWN LINE

LIST KNOWN CIRC

or

LIST LINE *

LIST CIRC *

I can't remember, for sure, which works because I have no access to Phase IV to check right now.  If you get errors saying that there aren't any lines or circuits then you probably need to configure DECnet from the ground up.  To make sure check in SYS$SYSTEM for any NET*.DAT files.  If none exist then you'll need to configure.  If you have files like NETNODE_REMOTE.DAT, NETNODE_LOCAL.DAT, NETCIRC.DAT then your system may have been configured but the lines and circuits may not match the current environment (if you upgraded at one time from a smaller Alpha to a larger?).  The names of your interfaces might have changed and the entries in the permanent database need to be fixed to match.

bob

Eddy_fj
Advisor

hello there, thanks for you contribution. I dont get any system error but when i try to connect from another node using "SET HOST" then i get the following error.

SWEET»set host rarwb3
%SYSTEM-F-UNREACHABLE, remote node is not currently reachable

Thats all i get on both the network card.

thanks

Eddy_fj
Advisor

Thanks Bob, for the advise. please refer below for the questions you asked.

1) RAR03$ $ write sys$output f$getsyi("decnet_version")

2) NCP>list known line
     Known Line Permanent Summary as of  5-APR-2013 00:11:34

Line             State

EWA-0             on

3) NCP>list known circuit
     Known Circuit Permanent Summary as of  5-APR-2013 00:12:26

Circuit          State

EWA-0             on

4) RAR03$ dir net*.dat

Directory SYS$SYSROOT:[SYSEXE]

NET$PROXY.DAT;1     NETCIRC.DAT;1       NETCONF.DAT;1       NETLINE.DAT;1
     NETLOGING.DAT;1     NETNODE_LOCAL.DAT;1 NETNODE_REMOTE.DAT;1
     NETOBJECT.DAT;1     NETPROXY.DAT;1

Total of 9 files.

Directory SYS$COMMON:[SYSEXE]

NETWORKS.DAT;1

Total of 1 file.
    Grand total of 2 directories, 10 files.

Seems like the line and circuit are not matching the current evnvironment. Please advise how can we go further from here.

JUST A NOTE

I have no idea what all i did yesterday in try and error that iam able to see EWA-0 and using the HP TCPIP service iam able to connect to the node but with only network card A. I tried SET HOST with both the network card but it didnt work.

Please advise further......thanks again....

Steven Schweda
Honored Contributor

Bob Blunt
Respected Contributor

Eddy, from DCL type:

$ SHOW DEV E

and post the results, please...

Sometimes when you restore the only BACKUP you have of a system it might not be a copy of your exact current environment (depending on the origin of the tape).  Right now your DECnet is *probably* trying to use the wrong NIC and the command above should tell us what network options your system has.  The simplest solution might be to move your network cable IF the only E* devices you see are EWxx.  There could be MANY reasons why your system was configured in a unique way but at this point you can only 1) fix the DECnet config or 2) move cables around to match the config.  The latter option could, very possibly, break some other network protocol that IS configured correctly and working so let's find out what you've got before we try moving things around.

It might also be interesting to know how your other network protocols are setup.  IF you're using TCPIP Services for OpenVMS from HP you could:

TCPIP SHOW INTERFACE

and then

TCPIP SHOW INTERFACE WE1/FULL   (for example only,  your interface could be named differently)

bob

Eddy_fj
Advisor

Morning Bob, Please find the answers to your questions.

RAR03$  SHOW DEV E

Device                  Device           Error
 Name                   Status           Count
EIA0:                   Online              15
EIA2:                   Online               0
EIA4:                   Online               0
EIA6:                   Online               0
EIA7:                   Online               0
EIA8:                   Online               0
EIB0:                   Online               8
EIB2:                   Online               0

TCPIP> sh inter
                                                           Packets
Interface   IP_Addr         Network mask          Receive          Send     MTU

IE0        10.100.10.46    255.255.255.0         3451549          1270    1500
 LO0        127.0.0.1       255.0.0.0                   7             7    4096

TCPIP> SHOW INTERFACE WE1/FULL
%TCPIP-E-INVINTER, error defining interface: WE1
-TCPIP-W-NODEVINTE, interface not found

Bob Blunt
Respected Contributor
Solution

Eddy, plain and simple you've got a much different configuration than what your backup restored.  I'm surprised that TCPIP is correctly configured.  As far as DECnet goes?  It'll never work with lines and circuits pointing to EWA-0, both need to be changed to EIA-0.  You could probably use NCP to list the characteristics of EWA-0 as a line and circuit and "get away with" duplicating those same settings for a line and circuit named EIA-0.

First I'd use NCP:

NCP> SET EXEC STATE SHUT

then define the lines and circuits in the permanent DECnet database (with the same characteristics as you had with EWA-0 for starters), purge the EWA-0 circuit and line from permanent and reboot.

No need to do anything with TCPIP as long as that works as expected.

bob