HPE Community read-only access December 15, 2018
This is a maintenance upgrade. You will be able to read articles and posts, but not post or reply.
Hours:
Dec 15, 4:00 am to 10:00 am UTC
Dec 14, 10:00 pm CST to Dec 15, 4:00 am CST
Dec 14, 8:00 pm PST to Dec 15, 2:00 am PST
Operating System - OpenVMS
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cant Start Decnet

SOLVED
Go to solution
Eddy_fj
Advisor

Cant Start Decnet

Hi all, i again have a set host problem but with another server. I have a DS15 Alpha server with Open VMS 7.3. When i start Decnet using "START/NETWORK DECNET". It gives me a error as shown below

RAR04$ START/NETWORK DECNET
DECnet nodename of local node must match VMScluster nodename.
DECnet not started.

Please advise how can i fix this. Thanks

5 REPLIES
Bob Blunt
Respected Contributor

Re: Cant Start Decnet

To run DECnet Phase IV on OpenVMS the SCSNODE system parameter and the nodename specified in the NCP database for the executor MUST match.  In addition SCSSYSTEMID in decimal needs to match the DECnet address "area.nodenumber" (calculated by multiplying the area*1024+the nodenumber).  Both of these are requirements for your system to be able to run OpenVMS in a clustered environment and DECnet.

There is some slight increase in flexibility if you use DECnet Phase V or if you can exist without DECnet at all.

All of these options and requirements are documented in the OpenVMS documentation.

Eddy_fj
Advisor

Thanks Bob,

i have checked my system parameter and they are ok but my exector name is not. The list executor shows

NCP>list exec
Node Permanent Summary as of  1-MAY-2013 21:25:55

Executor node = 0

State                    = on

Please advise how can i change this and also why cant i see this when i use show exec.

thanks

Steven Schweda
Honored Contributor

Bob Blunt
Respected Contributor

NCP SHOW commands won't work if the executor isn't running...likewise you can't SET anything when DECnet is down, just DEFINE.  It does sound a bit like DECnet isn't configured...check for NET*.DAT files in SYS$SYSTEM:

Eddy_fj
Advisor
Solution

Hi All,

thanks for the advise.

i reconfigured the decnet using @ SYS$MANAGER:NETCONFIG.COM and just accepted the default values which showed form the last setup. It worked fine and the syste is up and running.

Thanks....iam slowlying learn VMS now.....THank to you guys.....

Eddy