108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Change unit_id on MSA1000

SOLVED
Go to solution
Michael Menge
Frequent Advisor

Change unit_id on MSA1000

We use itanium VMS8.3 and MSA1000 with firmware V7.00 in active/active configuation.

For testing I have created 7 units (0-6) with unit_id's 200-206. After $mc sysman io auto
there were devices $1$dga200-206 and anything worked fine.
For production I wanted to change the unit_id's
to $1$dga200 and $1$dga204-209. After dismounting all devices I logged on to the controller and typed the
CLI-2> set unit_id x yyy
commands. On VMS I made again $mc sysman io auto, but VMS didn't recognize the new device numbers. I even deleted units 6-1 on the MSA and added them again with the new unit_id's. But VMS only sees the old devices $1$dga200-206. Device 200 is o.k., it was not changed. For the old devices 201-206 you can make a $show dev/full and see full output as for a not mounted disk. $mount/over=id gives "medium is offline". $show dev/full $1$dga207 (one of the new id's) gives "no such device available".

So what is to do to activate the new unit_id's?
Until now, I haven't power-off/on the MSA nor reboot the VMS server.
7 REPLIES 7
Jan van den Ende
Honored Contributor

Michael,

Have you executed
$ MC SYSMAN IO FINF_WWID
before $ SYSMAN IO AUTO?

The first tells MSA (and EVA etc) to present the LUNs to VMS.
Then SUSMAN IO A can "see" them, and create the in-memory structures, which makes them available for other commands.

hth

Proost.

Have one on me.

jpe
Don't rust yours pelled jacker to fine doll missed aches.
Michael Menge
Frequent Advisor

Jan,

$MC SYSMAN
SYSMAN> IO FIND_WWID gives

%SYSMAN-I-OUTPUT, command execution on node x
No previously undiscovered WWIDs have been found.

SYSMAN> io auto

No change.
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor
Solution

> I even deleted units 6-1 on the MSA and added them again with the new unit_id's.

The UNIT_ID is only one characteristic that OpenVMS uses to identify SCSI LUNs / multiple paths.

Another one is the "LUN WWN" as it is called on some storage arrays. The MSA apparently uses another terminology... Don't know how it looks on V7.00 - I've found an older output which shows this:
> Device Identifier : 600508B3-00904200-AD9B03DA-58BC0012

So, if you create a new logical/virtual disk on the MSA/EVA, it gets assigned a new value and OpenVMS (and some other operating systems) becomes confused.

Back to your problem:
I don't have a VMS-system at hand right now, but isn't there another IO subcommand for this like:
SYSMAN> IO SCSI_VERIFY
?
Jan van den Ende
Honored Contributor

Michael,

I was going to advise you to appeal to Uwe, but he already stepped in. By all means, DO take his directions!
Sorry, but my SAN knowledge is limited to those details I had experience with, and a total overview is sorely lacking...

Proost.

Have one on me.

jpe
Don't rust yours pelled jacker to fine doll missed aches.
Kris Clippeleyr
Honored Contributor

Michael,

Did you add an ACL for the new units?
Like:
CLI> add acl connection= unit=

Regards,
Kris (aka Qkcl)
I'm gonna hit the highway like a battering ram on a silver-black phantom bike...
Michael Menge
Frequent Advisor

Uwe

SYSMAN> IO SCSI_PATH_VERIFY
SYSMAN> IO AUTO

did the job.
I can see now $1$DGA200-209 and initialize
200 and 204-209.
For devices $1$DGA201-203 you get
"device is not in configuration or not available" when trying to initialize them.
When doing a $SHOW DEV/FULL $1$DGA201, you get the data of the former, now no longer existing MSA unit with unit_id 201. VMS seems to save this data somewhere (file/memory?).
We are not unsing any ACL on this MSA. Only VMS systems in the same cluster have acccess to it.
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

> VMS seems to save this data somewhere (file/memory?).

Right, those devices are so deeply connected within the running operating system's data structures so that you really have to reboot to get rid of them.

It's time that OpenVMS learns hot-plugging from today's Windows ;-)