108805 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Character Limitations

SOLVED
Go to solution
Louann Duchemin
Regular Advisor

Character Limitations

Is there a character limitation on the Username field? Password has one, Oener has one, does Username?
5 REPLIES 5
Karl Rohwedder
Honored Contributor
Solution

See the documentation on ADD Username:
http://h71000.www7.hp.com/doc/82FINAL/6048/6048pro_009.html#startsubcommand_74

It's a 1-12 alphanumeric characterstring + underscore and $.

regards Kalle
Jan van den Ende
Honored Contributor

Louann,

Kalle give the full answer,
but I am not sure I fully understand the intro to your question.

What do you mean by character limitation on the Owner field?
There is a LENGHT limitation (max 31 chars),
but other than that? ANYTHING printable can be used.
As always in VMS, if you are using lowercase or any special character, just enclose it betwen double quotes. You can even specify a double quote, by entering as a double double quote.

Now, of course, if you are going the retrieve them an use in some programming, you WILL have to take special provisions for spaces, single and double quotes, as well as several others, but that is another issue.
As an example: Dutch names often contain spaces, and single quotes are not very rare.
They are processed just OK.

hth,

Proost.

Have one on me.

jpe
Don't rust yours pelled jacker to fine doll missed aches.
Louann Duchemin
Regular Advisor

Thank you for the information. I guess I should have said, "length limitation" rather than "character limitation."

Have a great day.
Anton van Ruitenbeek
Trusted Contributor

The (length) limitations are:
Username 12 positions
Password 32 positions
If you set in SYSUAF the flag for casesensitive, the password is also casesensitive and accepts special characters, otherwise its caseblind and only alphanumeric (no special characters). Username is always case blind.

AvR
NL: Meten is weten, maar je moet weten hoe te meten! - UK: Measuremets is knowledge, but you need to know how to measure !
John Gillings
Honored Contributor

Note that the username length limit is really 32 characters, but a few things don't work properly if you exceed 12 characters (for example, MAIL). So, AUTHORIZE imposes 12 as an artificial limit. If you access SYSUAF directly, you can exceed 12 characters. Logging in works, as do most other things, but it's not supported.
A crucible of informative mistakes