9193 Online
108810 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Chasing Ian

Jan van den Ende
Honored Contributor

Chasing Ian

Anyone notice?

so shortly after Ian now Martin has past the 2000 VMS-only line!

Martin, ich moechte der Erste sein dich zu gratulieren!
(und mit VMS-sern unter einander, und weil es die Hollaender mehr ueblich ist, hoffentlich ist das Dutzen erlaubt, ja?)

Ie,: Congrats! (and the rest has to do with German and Dutch language specifics, which I find too hard to explain in English, which does not even know those concepts)

Martin, any chance of you coming to the Dutch TUD?

Jan

Don't rust yours pelled jacker to fine doll missed aches.
31 REPLIES 31
Ian Miller.
Honored Contributor

Re: Chasing Ian

Now that Martin has started answering questions again I'd better work at keeping ahead of him :-) (Although I will never be as dapper as Martin :-)

Earning points is not the point of particpating here but its a bit of harmless fun!

This is what google translated for the above
"Martin, I would like to be first you to congratulate! (and with VMS sern under each other, and because it is more usual the dutchmen, hopefully is the Dutzen permitted?)"

I forgot to say
Well done Martin, always helpful and informative.

Ian,
now you done it. :-)

Now I feel forced to explain.

Contrary to English, both German and Dutch have a formal and an informal mode of adressing the partner-in-conversation.
And while German needs quite some degree of closeness to use the informal mode, Dutch (especially modern Dutch) rather favours the informal mode.
(eg.: there are a lot of companies where it is by official policy forbidden to address any colleague, up to the general director, in the formal mode, just to increase the sense of WE-ness).
And I (un-German-like) addressed Martin informally, stating it to be because of both the WE-ness of VMS-people amongst ourselves, and because of being Dutch. And considering the German standards, I explicitly asked his permission
(the Dutch way: after the act).

Wow,

How about that as a course in international courtesy differences?
Must be the weekend starting, and some good beer down already.

Cheers!

Have one on me

jpe
Don't rust yours pelled jacker to fine doll missed aches.
Ian Miller.
Honored Contributor

I've always said time spent here reading answers is educational and now not just about VMS :-)

Wonende in het land der bieren kan ik U het volgende voorstellen : Duvel en Rochefort 10. Have one on me.

About the thread : I guess Martin has work to do. I fill my dead moments with this forum and the quantity of dead moments is variable. At home (now) I watch the stock exchange and when there are dead moments (and the wive isn't monitoring) ...

Wim
Wim
Antoniov.
Honored Contributor

Wow,
Contrary to English, both German and Dutch have a formal and an informal mode of adressing the partner-in-conversation.
It's same for Italian tongue :-)

Martin,
I hope you'll can find more time to partecipate this forum.
Ian,
now you are ahead of us but look at down: I've seen Uwe very aggressive (in points terms not in speaking) and I guess he can growth up!

The plus of this forum is the people: every day a newbye post his 1.st message and everybody can find a solution!

Antonio Vigliotti
Antonio Maria Vigliotti
Ian Miller.
Honored Contributor

this place is getting a good reputation as a place to get vms technical questions answered without all the other nonsense as seen in e.g comp.os.vms

If we can help people towards appricating the finest operating system in the world then than only be a good thing. Increase the number of VMS fans in the world. Community lead marketing parhaps?

Martin,

Congratulations!

I post my congratulations in English because I cant speak German (even if my first name is Nemec, which in Slovenian means German :).

In Slovenian language, we have also formal and informal mode of addressing. There is also a third mode which was used as the most formal for very important people, but now nobody use this.

This forum is great. You can learn a lot and there are experts for any kind of (VMS) problems.

Bojan
Wim Van den Wyngaert
Honored Contributor

Soon a new race for the top-10 : Hein against Gerard.

Wim
Wim