Operating System - OpenVMS
1748255 Members
4020 Online
108760 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Clustering Comparison

James R. Pluzynski

Clustering Comparison

Sometime in May or June there was a technical article ( not a white paper ) describing different vendors attempts at clustering I have not been able to locate this article again and I would like to show it to some of my colleagues. Is it still on the site somewhere perhaps in some archive of articles?
5 REPLIES 5
Andy Bustamante
Honored Contributor

Are you thinking of "A Survey of Cluster Technologies" in Version 5 of the OpenVMS Journal?

http://h71000.www7.hp.com/openvms/journal/v5/index.html

has links to PDF or HTML.

If it isn't running VMS, it isn't really a cluster.

Andy
If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over? Reach me at first_name + "." + last_name at sysmanager net
James R. Pluzynski

Thanks Andy, Just what I was looking for
Peter Quodling
Trusted Contributor

There is no comparision - all other forms of clustering are mere mimics of a limited part of VMS's clustering ability.

Q
Leave the Money on the Fridge.
Antoniov.
Honored Contributor

James,
welcome to vms forum.
I hope see you later. Here there is best vms comunity :-)
Don't forget to assign some point for who helped you; you are graceful.

Antonio Vigliotti
Antonio Maria Vigliotti
Robert Gezelter
Honored Contributor

James,

The most recent paper of which I am aware is the OpenVMS Technical Journal article in the recent edition.

For reference, the baseline of all clustering technical articles is the original (1986) paper in the ACM's Transactions on Computer Systems (Kronenberg, Levy, and Strecker "VAXcluster: A closely-coupled distributed system"). This paper was later reprinted in the Digital Technical Journal (an online archive of DTJ is reachable from the OpenVMS Technical Journal pages; reprints from the ACM are also available online).

Having recently reread the original article as part of my background research for a soon to be published chapter on OpenVMS, I was reminded of how much the original cluster work is far beyond what may vendors call "clustering", for context, it is well worth the read.

- Bob Gezelter, http://www.rlgsc.com
Contributor, The Handbook of Information Security