New Discussion юеВ

Re: Cnt^A option for character insert..

SOLVED
Go to solution
Noor Ahmed_1
Advisor

Cnt^A option for character insert..

Hi all,

I have OpenVMS V8.2 on Itanium Server Rx2620.At DCL I have to press Cnt^A for character insertion in Command line...How it can be eliminated??

Rgds
noor
3 REPLIES 3
Volker Halle
Honored Contributor
Solution

Noor,

you can set your terminal's default to /INSERT or /OVERSTRIKE editing ($ HELP SET TERM /OVER). With CTRL-A you can switch between both modes. /OVERSTRIKE editing is the default.

If you prefer /INSERT mode, you could set it as a default in your LOGIN.COM, e.g.

$ IF F$MODE().EQS."INTERACTIVE" THEN $ SET TERM/INSERT

Volker.
Antoniov.
Honored Contributor

Hi Noor,
Ctrl + A switches from overstrike to insert mode and viceversa. So to cancel insert mode, simply type Ctrl + A again.
After you press return, command return to predefined state as declare by SET TERM command. I prefer insert mode, so in SYLOGIN.COM I added SET TERM/INSERT. You can add same command or SET TERM/OVER.

H.T.H.
Antonio Vigliotti
Antonio Maria Vigliotti
Robert Gezelter
Honored Contributor

Noor,

As noted by others, SET TERMINAL/INSERT will set the default editing mode to insert, and SET TERMINAL/OVERSTRIKE will set command editing into overstrike mode. Command editing can be completely disabled by SET TERMINAL/NOLINE_EDITING completely disables the line editing functionality.

Whichever is your preference, it is a good idea to set the correct mode in your LOGIN.COM. If you do so, it is important to make sure that the line editing mode is set only for interactive sessions, so the command should be the subject of an IF statement, as follows:

$ IF F$MODE() .EQS. "INTERACTIVE" THEN SET TERMINAL/INTERACTIVE

If you want to establish a default for your system, then the default should be in the SYLOGIN.COM file.

I hope that the above is helpful.

- Bob Gezelter, http://www.rlgsc.com