Operating System - OpenVMS
1752793 Members
6234 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Cobol example program using OpenVMS RDB routines, of Oracle SQL/ Services Client API

Jose Antonio Rocha
Occasional Advisor

Cobol example program using OpenVMS RDB routines, of Oracle SQL/ Services Client API

Hi,

Somebody please can supply me a Cobol example program using OpenVMS RDB routines, of Oracle SQL/ Services Client API. Our programmers have strong knowhow in Cobol language but not in C.

Regards

Fernando Rocha.

5 REPLIES 5
Bob Blunt
Respected Contributor

Re: Cobol example program using OpenVMS RDB routines, of Oracle SQL/ Services Client API

http://www.theminimumyouneedtoknow.com/openvms_application_developer_book.html

and

http://vouters.dyndns.org/tima/

Looks like really good places to start.  I'd also recommend Google-ing for your query.  Sorry about the second URL if it doesn't link correctly...

bob

Mark Hurcombe
Advisor

Hi,

Assuming you are using Cobol on OpenVMS and without knowing more of your environment, I would suggest using SQL Module Language to access the Rdb databases. This is well documented in the Rdb manuals. You basically write all of the sql in the sql module file, compile it using the supplied compiler (which comes with Rdb), and then call the sql routines from your Cobol program.

There (normally) are also example programs installed in SYS$COMMON:[SYSHLP.EXAMPLES.RDB72] or whatever version of Rdb you are using when the product is installed.

Cheers,

Mark

Jose Antonio Rocha
Occasional Advisor

Thanks a lot

Jose Antonio Rocha
Occasional Advisor

Thanks
Richard J Maher
Trusted Contributor

Weren't you asking for SQL/Service or Dynamic SQL in COBOL instead?