Frequent Advisor

Cobol under itanium ovms 8.3 question

Hi
when try to run a compile a image with cobol
I64VMS COBOL V2.8-1380 and ovms 8.3

this error message appears me.

Some help?

%DCL-W-ACTIMAGE, error activating image COBRTL_TV_AV
-CLI-E-IMGNAME, image file $1$DGA1:[SYS0.SYSCOMMON.][SYSLIB]COBRTL_D56_TV_AV.EX2
-LOADER-E-BADSVINDX, symbol vector index is too large

thanks
7 REPLIES 7
Hoff
Honored Contributor

Re: Cobol under itanium ovms 8.3 question

This error looks like the image translation support, and I'd not expect that to arise with a native compiler and native objects and native images. (AFAIK, the whole of the COBOL stack is native.)

Would it be feasible to compile and link a (smaller) COBOL application as a test? (Is this involving the source code of one malfunctioning application, or is this an endemic problem?)

Are all of the source code involved here built on OpenVMS I64?

Do also confirm the image being invoked is the one expected here. Check for logical names that match the filename or device name or such, or for directories containing translated code. Also check to see if there's an installed image involved, as that potentially can land you within an unexpected image.
John Reagan
Respected Contributor

As Hoff mentioned, the COBOL compiler is native. I would not expect that message from a COBOL command.

Check for a COBOL logical or DCL symbol that might send you off to some other image.

BTW, COBOL V2.9 is on the next CDROMs. I encourage I64 users in particular to upgrade from V2.8 to V2.9.
Edgar Ulloa
Frequent Advisor

Hello.

I checkout and I don├в t find any additional copy of the referenced image (COBRTL_D56_TV_AV.EXE); this file came pre loaded
With the operating system and is located in the SYS$LIBARY directory.

Let me narrate what we are trying to do:

We have an application developer in Cobol with the VAX computer, we have al source code so it can by recompiled an relinked
In the I64, there are tree (3) shareable image with no source code so we translated these to an ALPHA after to the Itanium.

We compiled an linked a small test program succecfully, but when we execute it the following message is displayed.

%DCL-W-ACTIMAGE, error activating image COBRTL_TV_AV
-CLI-E-IMGNAME, image file $1$DGA1:[SYS0.SYSCOMMON.][SYSLIB]COBRTL_D56_TV_AV.EXE;1
-LOADER-E-BADSVINDX, symbol vector index is too large

Every thing used to work correctly with the VAX.

Is there any solution for this problem.

Best Regards.
Hoff
Honored Contributor

Do confirm that the executable image(s) have been linked against the translated images.

If there's not a skew with the shareable images (including the COBRTL) and link commands, I'd suggest a call to HP support here for a look at what you're working with; your application images appear to have problems with the transfer interface and the VEST and AEST (DECmigrate) translation sequence.

The wildcard here is what VEST and AEST and DECmigrate brings to the show.

--

...On I64 and Alpha, this condition can be avoided. By using an unchanged minor ID in the GSMATCH= option, the updated shareable image is downward compatible. Again, the application image only uses the old interface (MY_ADD, in this example). Such images, although linked against the new shareable image, can be activated with the old shareable image. Any application image using the additional interface (MY_SUB, in this example) will not be activated with the old shareable image; the check fails, the index or offset of the new symbol is not within the symbol vector of the old shareable image. The image activation aborts with the secondary message -LOADER-E-BADSVINDX (I64) or with the error message %IMGACT-F-SYMVECMIS (Alpha)...

--

BADSVINDX, bad symbol vector index

Facility: IMGACT, Image Activator

Explanation: There is an inconsistency between a shareable image that was
activated at runtime and information used to create an image
that calls it.

User Action: Link the calling image against the correct version of the
shareable image.

Edgar Ulloa
Frequent Advisor

Hi

How can i make a i64 object from the VAX Macro assembler source code, do the source code need conversion.

I attempt to make a shareable image in the VAX machine with the KBDUTL.OBJ produced by the macro compiler, after
Translated then KBDUTL.EXE to ALPHA and Itanium but the symbols in the IMAGELIB is not shown. The symbols are:

NUMINP
UPCINP
LWCINP
NOECHO
VDUSTP

Both then source code to this document.

Any body can help me please

Best Regards.

Hein van den Heuvel
Honored Contributor

>> How can i make a i64 object from the VAX Macro assembler source code, do the source code need conversion.

If the source was never 'ported' to Alpha then is likely needs tweaking. The main code can stay, but there are probably PSECT and ENTRY POINT defintions changes needed.

You may want to consider the opportunity to change to a different language (C, or Cobol). I see a lot of Macro in use (typically for QIO or other system service calls) where an HLL could have been used with a little more thinking and perhaps a white lie or two (Cobol: set reference, pass by value...)

What skills / training / resources are at your disposal? Just the manuals or better?
You may want to consider engaging a consultant to get going more efficiently, or make use of the porting seminar HP continues to offer in Nashua NH.

See for example the "OpenVMS Customer Lab Options" entry our frien Sue nade inteh C.O.V newsgroup yesterday.:
http://groups.google.com/group/comp.os.vms/browse_frm/thread/72bac45f115f8d9a/?hl=en#

>> I attempt to make a shareable image in the VAX machine

Don't. Use the source luke!

> Any body can help me please

Yes, Me, Hoff, and Bob G, and Vaxman, and Bruce C, and, and, many more consultants and firms

Hope this helps some,
Hein van den Heuvel (at gmail dot com)
HvdH Performance Consulting

Edgar Ulloa
Frequent Advisor

For fixing the isuue was necesary rebuild all macro assembler code and compile again.