New Discussion юеВ

Re: Configuration Management for Open VMS

SOLVED
Go to solution
Martin P.J. Zinser
Honored Contributor

Hello,

for what you want CMS looks like a good solution if we are talking a VMS centric approach. I did use it in former times (incuding the DECwindows interface ;-) and liked it quite a bit. I can not comment on TRUEchange from own experience. Looking at their website I did not find a statement that it actually supports VMS. If you do need to integrate with other systems you might be able to get something with CVS to work (Note: VMS can only act as a client to CVS).

Greetings, Martin
Kenneth Block

I have not used it, but I have heard good things about Perforce. (www.perforce.com)

These comments came from a customer who used CMS in the past. The customer also tried CVS, but came to the conclusion that perforce was the best.

You can download a trial version and try it yoursself. Then let everybody know what you think.
http://www.perforce.com/perforce/loadprog_old.html
Dima Bessonov
Frequent Advisor

Hi,

No one seems to have mentioned that explicitly, but DECset also includes Module Management System aka MMS which nicely complements CMS. It's useful for automation of rebuilding apps, especially when you start juggling with many compiler and linker options and want to ensure you don't miss a command qualifier during rebuild. I also think you won't save very much on buying CMS solely, while with complete DECset you also get LSE/SCA which also integrates well with CMS. Other components of DECset are probably not as necessary as the previous ones.

Just my two cents worth,
Dima
Ian Miller.
Honored Contributor

MMS also have a windows client.

probably off-topic:
If you cannot afford the licenses and want most of MMS's possibiulities, take a look on MMK on http://www.madgoat.com/mmk.html

Willem
Willem Grooters
OpenVMS Developer & System Manager
Martin P.J. Zinser
Honored Contributor

Hi,

I also can recommend MMK as a "make" tool. It works great and is very stable. Note though that this "only" replaces the MMS part of DECset, i.e. not LSE, CMS, SCA or PCA.

Greetings, Martin