New Discussion юеВ

Connecting latop to AlphaServer 2000

SOLVED
Go to solution
Joewee
Regular Advisor

Connecting latop to AlphaServer 2000

Hi,

I need to guide an Operator who doesn't have much knowledge about the Vms and alpha to connect a laptop to the server to take control of the server remotely, since it wont come online. The funny part is even I haven't done this myself before.

I need the detail steps to get this done. Please help.
4 REPLIES 4
marsh_1
Honored Contributor

Re: Connecting latop to AlphaServer 2000

hi,

you'll need either 2 x 9 pin to mmj connector (H8571-J) and a decconnect cable bc16e or 2 x h8585-aa 9 pin to rj45 adapter and a standard utp patch lead. settings are 9600, 8 , none , 1 using a serial connection on most terminal emulators.

hth

Hein van den Heuvel
Honored Contributor
Solution

Once you have a physical cable in place, the Operator will need a terminal emulator as Mark mentions.

Typically, for incidental access, folks use awindows provide 'HyperTerminal', which is not very hyper in my book.
Typical path to find that:
START
All Programs
Accessories
Communications
Hyperterminal.

Type in a connection name ('X', 'Alpha', 'Serial')
And 'Connect Using ... "COM1" '

Recent versions of PuTTY also have a 'Serial' radio button, next to Telnet, Rlogin, SSH.

Tell him/her about ^Q / ^S to start / stop scrolling, notably ^Q to revive stuck output.
And mention ^P for the attention signal.. if yo dare.

hth,
Hein.

Joewee
Regular Advisor

Thanks Im in.. but the problem is getting worse.. I will post a new thread for the same.
Joewee
Regular Advisor

Thanks for the replies.. I logged in remotely to the server by doing a net meeting to the laptop connected to the server.