Operating System - OpenVMS
1753491 Members
4897 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Console manager replacement

Stewart Piesley_1

Console manager replacement

We wish to replace our current PCM (polycentre console managerment) software.
we do not wish to use console works or robomon - are there any other options besides
these - and if so any reviews would help.
9 REPLIES 9
Ian Miller.
Honored Contributor

why do you want to replace PCM and wants wrong with the two alternatives you have mentioned. Your answers will help us to give you relevent advice.

Hi Stewart,

I have collected some links concerning known Console Managers for OpenVMS. Please find attached a HTML file with the links.

Cheers!

Keith Cayemberg
Keith Cayemberg
Consultant
Wipro Technologies
Stewart Piesley_1

Ian - PCM is 'end-of'life' - I admit it works OK - but it is only can be installed and run on a unsupported version of VMS (V7.1!)
Also Robomon we found to be expensive as with Console works.

====

Keith - Thanks for the list - its exactly what I wanted ! - do you have any recommendations - I rememder attending a Compaq presentation a few years ago - and the Ki - Clim console manager looked good??

BTW: this is the first time I 've used this forum - and I am astounded by the speed and decent content of the replies!!!!!!
Ian Miller.
Honored Contributor

Stewart - welcome to the forum. I'm glad you find it helpful - now you award points (see http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/helptips.do?#28)

Personally I've used the CA product as a replacement for PCM - not my choice but it works and looks the same.

Cockpit Manager includes a console manager and does a lot of other stuff. http://www.hp.be/CockpitMgr

Sorry Stewart,

As a systems programmer and application programmer/analyst and Rdb DBA I have had only a little systems management experience. I haven't tried any console management software myself, although I believe we have the current CA Unicenter products in use on our customer's factory systems. Consequently, I'm not in the position to make any qualified recommendations.

Ian,
thanks for the hint about CockpitManager, I had the link filed under the heading "Systems Management Software" in my links collection. Now I have included under "console managers" as well.

Cheers!

Keith
Keith Cayemberg
Consultant
Wipro Technologies
Robert Atkinson
Respected Contributor

Stewart - have you priced up RoboCentral (Itheon)?

It's also worth reading through this thread (http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=594791), as this was discussed at some length recently.

Rob.
Lawrence Czlapinski
Trusted Contributor

We have been running PCM on VAX VMS 7.3 without any OS problems. It was previously installed.
Paul Whapshott
Frequent Advisor

Stewart,

I would not bother replacing PCM with a product that you would have to purchase ├В┬г├В┬г for. I have PCM running stable on an Alpha running OpenVMS 7.3-2 fully patched without any problems.

Regards,

Paul Whaps
Stewart Piesley_1

Thanks PAul - I think we will upgrade out present Alpha PCM environment as you suggested - as we have found out - that migrating scan profiles, command scripts etc is a nightmare.

But with the valuable info obtained from the replies, we have what we need to go forward at a later date.

So thanks for taking the time to reply to my question.

cheers,

Stewart