9196 Online
108805 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Consoles

Duncan Morris
Honored Contributor

Wim,

have you tried shifting the console manager to another port? It might be that Transmit is down on the port, but Receive is still ok.
I have had that on old DECserver systems.
Wim Van den Wyngaert
Honored Contributor

Duncan,

You mean another decserver port ?
Wim
Duncan Morris
Honored Contributor

Yes Wim. Sometimes they fail permanently, and sometimes they seem to get into a hang state. That was my experience of console manager with DS550 servers. They sometimes cleared after a decserver reboot - but that affected 100+ users at a time.
Wim Van den Wyngaert
Honored Contributor

Duncan,

NO results. The port settings are
Port 1: (Remote) Server: CTS12D

Character Size: 8 Input Speed: 9600
Flow Control: XON Output Speed: 9600
Parity: None Signal Control: Disabled
Stop Bits: Dynamic Signal Select: CTS-DSR-RTS-DTR

Access: Remote Local Switch: None
Backwards Switch: None Name: ARB1
Break: Remote Session Limit: 1
Forwards Switch: None Type: Ansi
Default Protocol: LAT

Preferred Service: None

Authorized Groups: 0
(Current) Groups: 0

Enabled Characteristics:
Input Flow Control, Loss Notification, Message Codes,
Output Flow Control, Verification
Wim
Galen Tackett
Valued Contributor

Perhaps you should disable flow control on the decserver port to which your console port is connected?

That's how I run ours. Long ago, with older versions of Vaxcluster Console System (as it used to be called), I think I had a problem with flow control hanging things up, but my memory could easily be inaccurate.
Wim Van den Wyngaert
Honored Contributor

Galen,

NO results. I compared with another alphastation 500 also beeing monitored via console mgr (but one that works). Identical decserver port settings.

Wim
Wim
Keith Parris
Trusted Contributor

If you have physical access to the machine, it might be easiest to disable the boot disk (either unplug it or just unplug its power source) and then power up the box; the auto-boot should fail and it should then drop back to console mode.

You should be able to get a >>> prompt on at least one of the serial ports on the back of the machine at that point, and when you do, do the command:
>>> SET CONSOLE SERIAL
Wim Van den Wyngaert
Honored Contributor

Keith,

Indeed. Just a pitty that nothing is foreseen to still capture the control-p.

Btw : I connected a console and set console to serial. But I now noticed that it didn't boot in graphical mode (no log files) until I connected the screen. Strange.

Wim
Wim
Lokesh_2
Esteemed Contributor

Hi Wim,

When you connected to system using console manager, what you get when you type SHO TERMINAL ( OPA0: or TTA0: ...) . It should be OPA0:

Thanks & regards,
Lokesh
What would you do with your life if you knew you could not fail?
Antoniov.
Honored Contributor

Wim,
are you sure of using CTS/RTS signal? For theese signal you need a full cable and they aren't right managed by OpenVms; I guess is bettere disable CTS/RTS and holding DTR/DSR.

Antonio Vigliotti
Antonio Maria Vigliotti