Operating System - OpenVMS
1752374 Members
6031 Online
108787 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Convert XML/style sheet to LaserJet input file.

Bob S._1
Occasional Contributor

Convert XML/style sheet to LaserJet input file.

In OpenVMS, is there any way to convert XML (described by a style sheet), to a file that can be printed on a LaserJet?
3 REPLIES 3
Ian Miller.
Honored Contributor

Just a wild guess but doesn't a web brower do this? (Mozzilla does run on VMS - given plenty of memory&cpu).

Hello,

no, I do not think Mozilla will do this, what is needed is a XML/XSLT processor. Most probably your best bet is Xalan. Check

http://h71000.www7.hp.com/openvms/products/ips/xml/

for a VMS implementation.

Disclaimer: No direct experience with Xalan here.

Greetings, Martin
Craig A Berry
Honored Contributor

"LaserJet input file" could mean more than one thing. Do you want postscript? PCL? There are also two main stylesheet types: CSS and XSLT, so the answer depends on what you have. If you have XSLT, then the output format will be a function of the stylesheet itself. (The "T" in XSLT stands for Transform, and different stylesheets applied to the same document may transform it into a variety of different output formats).

Mozilla can render XML using either type of stylesheet, but I don't know whether printing from a browser window is good enough for your purposes.

If what you have is XSLT, then the two main options for processing these I'm aware of are the Apached-derived ones that Martin mentioned or the libxml2/libxslt packages from the GNOME project. See <>.