7324 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Coordinating the Vms porting efforts

USO
Occasional Advisor

Some remarks :

* The OpenVMS community is very conservative (the french one) and is not strongly interested by opensource softwares.

* We are only a few folks porting opensource softwares on OpenVMS. I port during my spare time. So, I must be selective. I have choosen to port mainly Java applications because it's often easier than C or C++ and I focus on the area of middleware (JOnAS, Jetty...) and network tools (HasItHAppens, Mibble Mib Browser, JavaRDP...) because it's related with my job.

* As noted by Gerard, there is clearly a lack in the area of opensource ERP/CRM because these applications (i) are big and not easy to port and (ii) often need sofware components which don't exist on OpenVMS (PHP5, Zope application server, Postgres...).

* A directory of OpenVMS ports like java-source.net would be great and openvms.org a good place for it.

Thierry Uso.
Ian Miller.
Honored Contributor

creating a page on openvms.org listing sites that have unix opensource ported to vms would be simple enough. If that would help then send me email.

Hello Ian

May be a list of "wishes", with various freewares that people would like ported to Vms could help too.

Having categories would be great, e.g.
- languages
- wiki
- databases
- ERP
- CMS
- monitoring tools
- network tools
Ian Miller.
Honored Contributor

There is a porting open source to VMS forum on the hobbyist web site.

http://www.openvmshobbyist.org/phpbb2/viewforum.php?f=9

Perhaps this would be the place ?

May be.

Some interesting info would be the failures to port a software, with the reasons.
Martin Vorlaender
Honored Contributor

All,

>>>
* A directory of OpenVMS ports like java-source.net would be great and openvms.org a good place for it.
<<<

I volunteer to hack up something like java-source.net (i.e. not a repository, but rather a list that includes pointers). Give me a week or so, and have an eye on de.OpenVMS.org.

cu,
Martin
Ian Miller.
Honored Contributor

Thank you Martin and do send me an email when its available so it can be announced.

The hobbyist forum previously mentioned could still be used for discussions.

A first version of the OpenVMS Ports list (with some contents taken from the more recent announcements on OpenVMS.org) is online at http://de.OpenVMS.org/OpenVMS-Ports/

I hope I don't have to take it offline too soon (or secure it by some means) due to dummies filling the database with crap...

Suggestions, criticism, praise, money (just kidding) to martin -dot- vorlaender -at- t-online -dot- de .

cu,
Martin
Jean-Fran├зois Pi├йronne
Trusted Contributor

I have worked on various ports of libraries/tools on OpenVMS, include fairly large system like Python, MySQL, Webware, MoinMoin,...

When I have had to re-port stuff reasons are:
- complex building procedure, for example extract from tarfile, apply patches, compile, link, build an instalation procedure, etc...

I think it would be nice to have PCSI kit which just install the stuff.
Now I also build LD image which just contains all the necessary material.

- More important, about libraries:
* One of the problem is that you can build libraries using:
. mixed case names or upper case names, this can be hide using a sharable which export both names.
. G_FLOAT or IEEE float
. 32 or 64 bits
. object libraries or shareables.

If you want to port code, mixed case, IEEE with 32 and 64 bits is a good choice.
If you just want to use the libraries inside existing program upper case, G_FLOAT is probably better.

So if you want to cover all cases you will have to provide 8 olb libraries or at least 4 shareables.

And if you provide shareable, it would be important to maintains compatibility with older version which can be sometimes difficult to achieve for some large library.

All the libraries I have packages use IEEE float and in most case provide 32 and 64 bits versions, olb and shareables exporting mixed and upper case names. They are all package as PCSI kit.

So it should be nice to have a repository which show what is provide and in which format.

Also I suspect that a wiki would be interesting.

It should be also interesting to defined a common structures (directories, olb, shareable,...) for all these libraries/tools, this will, I hope, reduce duplicate work and may allow to find some person in charge of maintain the port (usable by others) up to date.

Just my 2 cents...

JFP
labadie_1
Honored Contributor

To illustrate what JF has said, read this thread

http://www.pi-net.dyndns.org/piforum/viewtopic.php?p=462#462