Operating System - OpenVMS
1753290 Members
5509 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Create an X Window from a Tru64 on a OpenVMS WorkStation

Paul Morrice

Create an X Window from a Tru64 on a OpenVMS WorkStation

I have just ugraded my workstation to OpenVMS 7.3-2. From other OpenVMS nodes I can create a X Window on my WorkStation without any problems. When I come to create an X window via Tru64 I get the message can't open display. This previously worked with 7.2-2.
I can remember something about Xhost or a file had to be modified to allow access, but this is very vague thought.

Thanks
2 REPLIES 2
John Gillings
Honored Contributor

Re: Create an X Window from a Tru64 on a OpenVMS WorkStation

Paul,
I'm assuming the OpenVMS workstation is the X Server and the Tru64 system is the X client.

You need to set security on the X Server to allow access from the client. Exactly how you do this depends on what interface you're using. On Motif, the Session Manager has an Options menu. Selecting "Security..." gets you into a dialog from which you can specify nodes that are allowed access. For a Tru64 system you will need to enter the node name, username "*" and TCPIP as the transport.

I think V7.3 should have it by default, but you also need to check that you've got TCPIP transport enabled:

$ SHOW LOGICAL/TABLE=DECW$SERVER0_TABLE DECW$SERVER_TRANSPORTS

Make sure the list contains "TCPIP". If not, edit SYS$STARTUP:DECW$PRIVATE_SERVER_SETUP.COM
search for DECW$SERVER_TRANSPORTS and add TCPIP to the list. You will then need to restart DECwindows.

Things may be different if you're running "the new desktop".
A crucible of informative mistakes
Paul Morrice

Re: Create an X Window from a Tru64 on a OpenVMS WorkStation

Problem solved.

Thanks