6073 Online
108797 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Creating LPD print que in UCX

Alon Jacob
Frequent Advisor

Creating LPD print que in UCX

Hi all.

Can anyone please remind me on how to create and configure LPD print queues on UCX (or should I say TCP/IP for VMS)?

Thank-you.
10 REPLIES 10
Ian Miller.
Honored Contributor

Re: Creating LPD print que in UCX

Go into the server menu in TCPIP$CONFIG and enable and start LPD/LPR.

Then
$ RUN SYS$SYSTEM:TCPIP$LPRSETUP.EXE

and add the queue - this will update TCPIP$LPD_PRINTCAP and TCPIP$LPD_STARTUP/SHUTDOWN

Alon,

before you do a lot of work on it, you might ask yourself if lpd is _REALLY_ what you want!
There is also TCPIP$TELNETSYM to consider.

This forum contains several stream on the differences.
Most important, and the principal argument in a decision eighther way:
Do you use queues with form modules, setup modules, etc?
Those are incompatible with LPD, and work ok with TELNETSYM.
If you do not use them, it is basically a free choice.
If you DO use them, but (for whatever reason) you _HAVE_ to use LPD, then you will have to pre-process your prints such, that any setup (etc) info is incorporated with your doc into a _SINGLE_ file, which can then be sent to the printer.

just my EUR 0.02

Proost.

Have one on me.

jpe
Don't rust yours pelled jacker to fine doll missed aches.
Willem Grooters
Honored Contributor

One more disadvantage of LPD is it's a one-way protocol. VMS will just dump it's data and never know if something's wrong with the printer since no traffic comes back.

What type of printers do you use? a lot of printers (HP, obviously, but quite a lot of others as well) can be controlled with DCPS, which takes care of a lot of configuration.

Willem
Willem Grooters
OpenVMS Developer & System Manager
Antoniov.
Honored Contributor

Alon,
I'm with other fellows. I tryed to use LPD; it's very easy to configure (read Ian's post) but features are limited.
Don't forget, windows can't manager LPR/LPD in right way (if you have some printers connected to PC).

Antonio Vigliotti
Antonio Maria Vigliotti
Rob Crooks
Frequent Advisor

I found LDP to be very useful when I have big reports (>500 pages) to be printed for archive.

In my case I created a queue on a Win2003 server for a fast Xerox printer that I have and shared it.

Then using lprsetup, I added a queue that was remote, with the remote address (rm) of the Win2003 server and the remote printer (rp) of the share I had given.

Now, I can send all kinds of jobs to the queue and deceide if I want them 2-up, 4-up, booklet, stapled or whatever using the default settings on the printer driver.

I also did this with the Acrobat distiller. Sent jobs to the "printer" and got PDF's out from my VMS text files.

It's a good point in that /form and /setup don't work with LPD/LPR queues, but they do if you point the VMS queue to a Windows queue and use PCL escape sequences. Or at least they do for me.

John Donovan_4
Frequent Advisor

To add my 5 cents to this thread, we desided to go LPD here because we didn't want to maintain the IP address when the printers move. And boy do they move them around a lot here. When you have several hundred LAN printers to make available for OpenVMS use, I found its far easier to let the LAN folks handle it.
"Difficult to see, always in motion is the future..."
Anton van Ruitenbeek
Trusted Contributor

@John,

Why are you maintaining IP adresses (with LPD you are evenso maintinging IP adresses if you don't use DNS) ?? We are for sure not using LPD because all the disfunctionality of it, but using TELNETSYM and are using DNS names for all the printers. They may move the printers at any time they want, whe dont care. If the DNS name stays the same we print to it.

AvR
NL: Meten is weten, maar je moet weten hoe te meten! - UK: Measuremets is knowledge, but you need to know how to measure !
Jeroen Hartgers_3
Frequent Advisor

there is a trick to use all the options of telnet printing in lpd.

create a normal printer que.
exaple: init/que/on=host01::"tcpip$QUEUE:LPD_print"/PROCESSOR=TCPIP$TELNETSYM print/library=

and use

run sys$system:tcpip$lprsetup.exe

to create a lpd queue. In this manner you have things as forms available with lpd printing
John Donovan_4
Frequent Advisor

Anton
If the DNS names of the printers here stayed the same, sure no problem. However, our network crew elects to rename/renumber printers when they move. Don't ask me why, its not my job I just work with what I get.
I'd rather pass it onto a printer server & a printer queue name. Wipe hands, you're done...
"Difficult to see, always in motion is the future..."