Re: Creating a Image/bootable tape

SOLVED
Go to solution
Hoff
Honored Contributor

If you tried the DCL command:

BACKUP/IMAGE DUA2: MUC6:

I'd suggest reading the command examples in the help text on most any recent OpenVMS version (donno how far back those go; V5.5-2 is coming up on fifteen years old), and also a quick pass through the documentation for BACKUP in the recent OpenVMS manuals. The former show the commands related to particular tasks (and a very good starting point for staying within what is tested and supported with BACKUP, too) and the latter describes such such as how to specify the saveset name on the target parameter.

BACKUP is one of the most obscure and arcane and obtuse utilities around, and - even with 25 years of regular use - I still end up referring to the manuals on occasion.
Nahmad_1
Advisor

Hi Hoff

I agree that backup is very complicated and mostly need to look at help. I tried COPY command and it worked this time.

I look at tape again and found following files too:

BOOT58.EXE BOOTBLOCK.EXE BOOTUPD.COM SYSBOOT.EXE WRITEBOOT.EXE VVIEF_BOOTSTAP.EXE SYSBOOT_XDELTA.EXE

does it mean any thing about the suspicion that it may be bootable ?

Thanks

Nahmad
Hoff
Honored Contributor

Whoa, cool.

That tape probably isn't what you want; I'd not expect that tape to be bootable here, if that's your central goal.

If it's replication of media for another VAX system that's not been mentioned here, that's another discussion. (And there are ways to do that for the VAX-11 box, for instance. CONSCOPY.COM was the tool typically used for that purpose.)

BOOT58 was used for and with the TU58 DECtape II cartridge tape drive (a device and media which was seen as a console on the VAX-11/750, VAX-11/751, VAX-11/730 and VAX-11/725 series boxes). The VVIEF was the VAX Vector Instruction Emulation Facility bits.

The contents of the tape look more like a replication of a VAX-11-vintage console tape, too. That tape might well be worth some archeology and contents preservation, but not in relation to booting a VAX 4000 box for use with OpenVMS VAX or with Standalone BACKUP.

And FWIW, I've never seen a VAX-11/750 try to boot from a TK70, either. You'd need to boot the box via the console ROM and then via the TU58 to get to the TK70, if it is even feasible.