New Discussion юеВ

Re: Creating a mapped drive with a different UserName

Creating a mapped drive with a different UserName

Environment:
Win XP
VAX / VMS6.0 (Using DECNET, not TCP/IP)
PW Server 5.0
PW Client 7.2

This is how I map a drive in XP to a VAX share. 1. Tools ... Map Network drive ...
2. Enter the share letter and name (p: = \\VAXServer\Dom)
3. Click on "Connect with a different username"

At this point I find I am restricted in the names that I can use. For example, if I use the VAX name/pwd for DOM, I can't get through. If I use the VAX name/pwd for TONY, it get's through.

Is there something I should be looking at in authorize that distinguishes Dom and TONY?

TIA
Dom
19 REPLIES 19

I think I answered my own question. I was using the VMS password (the one I use when I login to VMS), and not the pathworks password (the one that is set in Admin / Path). For some of our accounts, these are not the same.

Here is a second question.

Can I set the username for \\VAXServer\Dom and a different username for \\VAXServer\Tony, or do they have to be the same just because they are both on the VAXServer?

Dom
Bojan Nemec
Honored Contributor

Dom,

I think that you can not have two different usernames to the same machine. This is a Windows restriction not a VMS one.

Bojan
Robert Atkinson
Respected Contributor

You can use two different usernames (or as many as you want, for that matter).

Each username can be given permission to access specific shares.

Of course, you would have to supply the username/password for any connections you make that are not your current username and password.

Rob.
Bojan Nemec
Honored Contributor

Rob,

I try to map two different shares from an XP machine to another. When connecting the second share with a different username I receive the following error:

The mapped network drive could not be created because the following error has occured:

Multiple connections to a server or shared resource by the same user, using more than one user name, are not allowed. Disconnect all previous connections to the server or shared resource and try again..

Bojan
Antoniov.
Honored Contributor

Can I set the username for \\VAXServer\Dom and a different username for \\VAXServer\Tony, or do they have to be the same just because they are both on the VAXServer?

Yes, you can.
You can create the 1.st mapped drive (e.g. p:) to \\VAXServer\Dom with username "Dom" and the 2.nd mapped drive (e.g. q:) to \\AVXServer\Tony with user "Tony".
Look at username is linked to mapped drive of win xp, not to shared directory on VAX. Both username, "Dom" and "Tony" must exist on pathwork database.
If you have another PC you must repeat all operation to mapping drive.

H.T.H.
Antonio Vigliotti
Antonio Maria Vigliotti

My experiences are the same as Bojan's -- and I get the same error messages.

Can someone who is able to map 2 different names walk me through the actual steps?

Dom
Antoniov.
Honored Contributor

Hi Dom,
I guess you have server mode licensing model and you have only one license avaiable.
If I remember you can see license with
$ RUN SYS$MANAGER:PWRK$LR_SHOW_USAGE

Antonio Vigliotti
Antonio Maria Vigliotti
Antonio Gonzalez_4
Regular Advisor

I'm having the same problem when I try to map a second share with different username. Can any of you give us an update oth this thread ??

I guess I'm plenty of licenses, but I'll check and post the output.

Pls. don't close the topic jet !!
regards
antonio

Hi Antonio:

I believe the last word on the subject is this: You must use the same username / password for any connection on a server.

In my case, I want to map drive "p" to \\C_Server\Publicity, with username "Dom"; and I want to map drive "o" to \\C_Server\Ollie to username "Ollie". But I can't. Since both connections are to the server C_Server, I must use the same username, either Ollie or Dom.

Someone on this thread raised the possibility that the type of license is important -- A server based license or a Client based license. I have my doubts about that, but it doesn't matter in my case anyway.

Dom