108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Creating a mapped drive with a different UserName

Antonio Gonzalez_4
Regular Advisor

Dom,
this puzzle me a lot !!

I'll drop a call to HP support asap. I can't believe what you observed.

I'll post any finding here.

Thanks a lot for your reply.
antonio
Antoniov.
Honored Contributor

Dom,
AFAIK you can map drive "p" to \\C_Server\Publicity, with username "Dom"; and you can map drive "o" to \\C_Server\Ollie to username "Ollie";
this is possible just with win xp client or win 2k. It's no possible with win 9x.
To give username Dom and Ollie, both identifier must be present at domain level (ADMIN SHOW USER on domain controller). Obivously you must know both password.

Antonio Vigliotti

Antonio Maria Vigliotti
Doug Phillips
Trusted Contributor

Dom,

I'm curious why you need to do this. I've always liked the fact that I can see which users are actually accessing a share.

If Dom and Tony need access to each others shares, then my first thought would be to create a group with them as members and give that group access to both shares.

Just wondering what situation you might have that I haven't thought of.

Hi Doug:

That's probably the best answer. But frankly, the powers that be have decided to shut down the VAX, and I'm looking for a cheap quick answer.

Dom
Antonio Gonzalez_4
Regular Advisor

I found the problem while trying to use the WNT Management Tools of Advance Server (\\Domain\alpha\pwutil share).
The manager is using his personal share AND needs access to pwutil as a Domain Administrator user to be able of see and change things (Users & Servers).
The point is: can you do it in Windows ?? then the user will ask for that in Advance Server and the explanation of the restriction should be very clear for the user.

cheers
antonio
Antonio Gonzalez_4
Regular Advisor

In fact HP support confirm that Pathworks CAN'T let you connect two times to the same server using different users !!
This is a restriction that should be documented clearly in the manuals.

We found a problem using the PWUTIL share and the user daily shares. To use the administrative tools, you must be Administrator.

If I connect only to the user share is OK. If the user connects only to the PWUTIL share, OK.
But, if the user connecs to both shares (using the same user of course, because otherways you cant even connect) at the same time, then you can't access the second one at all (access permissions error).
Lets explain it better:

1- connect to user share A ..OK
2- test A read/write.. OK
3- connect to user PWUTIL with the same user ..OK
4- test PWUTIL (read/write) ... FAIL can't access
5- disconnect user share
6- test PWUTIL (read/write) ... OK

Similar problem doing it the reverse way.

The version is the last one, fron the CD of OVMS 7.3-2.

regards
antonio
Doug Phillips
Trusted Contributor

>>
We found a problem using the PWUTIL share and the user daily shares. To use the administrative tools, you must be Administrator.
<<

IIRC, to use PWUTIL a user must be a member of the Administrators *group*. So, adding the user to the Administators group should work.

If you don't want USERname to have full administrator priv's, but just full access to PWUTIL, then specifically give USERname full priv's in that share.

If you have more than one user with this need, create a new group for them and give that group full priv's in the share.
Antonio Gonzalez_4
Regular Advisor

The real problem isn't using the tools and the security setup to do it. Regardless this security setup, as soon as you connect the PWUTIL share, the other shares access security check always report FAIL when it should work as before the PWUTIL mapping.
I need to research this problem in detail; and I'll report any conclusion.

thanks
antonio
Doug Phillips
Trusted Contributor

Dom,

Does the following do what you want?

$ admin
DOMAIN\\SERVER> logon
Username: Administrator
Password: (password)
DOMAIN\\SERVER>mod share dom/perm=(tony=full)
DOMAIN\\SERVER>mod share tony/perm=(dom=full)

Jan van den Ende
Honored Contributor

Dom,

from your Forum Profile:

I have assigned points to 5 of 54 responses to my questions.

Maybe you can find some time to do some assigning?

Mind, I do NOT say you necessarily need to give lots of points. It is fully up to _YOU_ to decide how many. If you consider an answer is not deserving any points, you can also assign 0 ( = zero ) points, and then that answer will no longer be counted as unassigned.
Consider, that every poster took at least the trouble of posting for you!

To easily find your streams with unassigned points, click your own name somewhere.
This will bring up your profile.
Near the bottom of that page, under the caption ├в My Question(s)├в you will find ├в questions or topics with unassigned points ├в Clicking that will give all, and only, your questions that still have unassigned postings.

Thanks on behalf of your Forum colleagues.

PS. ├в nothing personal in this. I try to post it to everyone with this kind of assignment ratio in this forum. If you have received a posting like this before ├в please do not take offence ├в none is intended!

Proost.

Have one on me.

Jan
Don't rust yours pelled jacker to fine doll missed aches.