New Discussion юеВ

Re: Creating system-generated passwords without using SET PASSWORD

SOLVED
Go to solution
Jeremy Begg
Trusted Contributor

Hi all,

Big thanks to Joseph for the DCL one-liner, it does exactly what I need.

The GPW and Perl programs look like too much work to set up; GPW requires some dictionaries and the Perl code requires modules which we don't currently have installed.

I still need to look at Hoff's NEWUSER program.

Regards,
Jeremy Begg
Joseph Huber_1
Honored Contributor

>> The newly-created accounts won't have LOCKPWD set,

Just a note, it is not the newly created account, it is the creator/administrator/Your account which is issuing the set password, so this must not have LOCKPWD!
http://www.mpp.mpg.de/~huber
Craig A
Valued Contributor

Another thign to bear in mind is that depending on your site it might be better to create the account via a batch job and then have the initial password emailed to the user.

I did this at one site where there were lots of different type of underlygin servers: VMS, Unix, IBM, etc..

All with different username conventions and lengths.

The purpose of the exercise was to use each others email address as the key for populating which access they had to which systems.

So when they first logged in they were asked for their email address and then an accesss code was mailed to that address (only internal addresses were allowed). They then had to get the access code from the email and enter it.

Over a few weeks we were able to build up a picture of who had access to what accounts.

Dependong on what you are trying to achieve you could just generate, say, a 10 digit integer - using F$CVTIME() and use that as the password.

HTH

Craig A