New Discussion юеВ

Re: D2D backup solutions for VMS

SOLVED
Go to solution
marsh_1
Honored Contributor

hi,

raid 1+0 would be implemented in hardware in the msa1000.

hth

robert70
Valued Contributor

mark
i think we have 128k file sizes (minimum 273 blocks on our small files on database drives)would this improve or slow down the resore process.

Am i correct in assuming our current 185Gb of data could be restored on raid5 is 58mbs eg take about 45 minutes?
Hoff
Honored Contributor

The usual approach for trimming your window uses host-based volume shadowing; host-based RAID-1) as Bob is suggesting. Possibly in conjunction with what Mark is referring to with the controller-level RAID-10, too.

Details on splitting off volumes are in the recent OpenVMS volume shadowing manual. In general terms, you quiesce the database operations, split off the volume, and off you go. You have a disk with a parallel copy of the database and the rest of the data on the disk, and can spin it off to tape at your leisure.

The downside of this technique applied to a database is the possibility of inconsistent data due to in-flight changes. Which is why most production databases including Oracle offer archival processing. Similarly, with MySQL, you'd use the mysqldump tool, and with Rdb you'd use RMU /BACKUP.

SDLT and Ultrium tapes are often faster than disks for various common operations, so I'd have to wonder if the host can supply the data fast enough to keep the drive streaming. SDLT and Ultrium are very sensitive to speeds and feeds, but (when they're streaming) very fast.

BACKUP on OpenVMS is sensitive to the process quotas and (when quotas are tuned correctly, and dependent on the particular setting of /LOAD on recent versions of BACKUP on OpenVMS) can consume an entire processor; it'll drive a tape drive at pretty close to its theoretical limit. The usual limits are then I/O bandwidth, I/O contention or (commonly) disk fragmentation.

http://labs.hoffmanlabs.com/node/49

I'd expect Oracle also has quota recommendations.
marsh_1
Honored Contributor

hi,

which one you pick depends on your needs :-

disk to disk backup - requires an application outage , just purchase disks so is the cheaper option and simplest to implement

shadowing - virtually no application outage, requires disks and software license so is the more expensive and complex option.

fwiw

Hoff
Honored Contributor

> Am i correct in assuming our current 185Gb of data could be restored on raid5 is 58mbs eg take about 45 minutes?

Consider fully testing your recovery path. That testing will also and entirely incidentally tell you how long the process requires. And more critical than the elapsed time required, whether the particular recovery produces a functional result.
marsh_1
Honored Contributor

hi,

those figures are test lab results, so they are possible but as hoff has stated the only way to find out your 'real-world' figures is to test the solution fully.

fwiw

robert70
Valued Contributor

many thanks
Hoff
Honored Contributor

nb: RAID-5 engenders massive I/O loading during spindle recovery, and is also surprisingly often clobbered by double-spindle failures; empirical data shows the spindle failure rates spike to 4x normal during a RAID-5 recovery.

http://labs.hoffmanlabs.com/node/410
http://labs.hoffmanlabs.com/node/93

Having looked at the costs of the disk spindles and at the data around error rates, it's been years since I've configured RAID-5 anywhere.