108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

DCPS-F-INSFMEM

SOLVED
Go to solution
Russ Carraro
Regular Advisor

DCPS-F-INSFMEM

Customer has a two node cluster with AS2100's running OpenVMS V7.1. They, also, run DCPS V2.0. One of the nodes crashed (and restarted) Sunday night. Since then some of the DCPS queues started on that node have been stopping and attempts to restart them fail with the following message: %DCPS-F-INSFMEM, insufficient dynamic memory (the queue does start on the other node). I found references to this problem and a patch (vaxcmar01_071) for VAXs but nothing for ALPHAs. Does anyone know of a patch/fix for ALPHAs?
7 REPLIES 7
Wim Van den Wyngaert
Honored Contributor

Re: DCPS-F-INSFMEM

May be it's true : try show mem/pool/fu and check it.

The patches (not complete) can still be found at
http://ftp.support.compaq.com.au/pub/ecoinfo/ecoinfo/a71.htm

Wim
Wim
Karl Rohwedder
Honored Contributor

Russ,

you may also try a newer version of DCPS, it is still supported at V6.2 (V7.1 is not explicitly mentioned). Current version is V2.6.

regards Kalle
labadie_1
Honored Contributor

Hello

At
http://www.sysworks.com.au/disk$axpdocdec021/sysman/dcpsv21/relnotes/dcps021_release_notes_001.html

I see

There is a DECthreads problem on OpenVMS VAX V7.0 and V7.1 systems that results in the DCPS symbiont aborting with an INSFMEM error. The DCPS symbiont consumes an increasing amount of memory over time, eventually aborting when it attempts to obtain more than the available dynamic memory. The probability of the symbiont aborting increases with each new print job that it processes.

The following patch kits fix this problem:

* VAXCMAR01_071, for OpenVMS VAX V7.1 systems
* VAXCMAR01_070, for OpenVMS VAX V7.0 systems

You should apply the patch named above
Hoff
Honored Contributor
Solution

All the references look to be specific to a leak in the VAX implementation of DECthreads, and there is no indication in any of the release notes that this is seen on Alpha. There have been DECthreads ECOs for Alpha, but the implementations of DECthreads do differ.

I'd look at the usual triggers for INSFMEM as a start. These are NPAGEDYN for system memory, CTLPAGES (image pool) and maybe CTLIMGLIM (image-related structure sizing) too.

A whole lot got fixed in the V7.1-2 release, as that release was a roll-up of all of the fixes for V7.1, V7.1-1H1 and V7.1-1H2. (Poke around in the patch archives; the V7.1-* range had a number of ECOs.) In addition to the aggregation of ECOs, better patch-management mechanism was added in V7.1-2 -- the old VMSINSTAL mechanism was replaced by PCSI.

The next supported release is V7.3-2 (with prior version support) and the current OpenVMS Alpha release is V8.3.

If your customer can't get to V7.1-2 or to V7.3-2 or to current, the other approach would involve loading up the VMSINSTAL ECO kits for V7.1. That's going to involve some downloading and planning around the sequencing of installations and reboots. The early range of V7.1-2 was exactly identical to V7.1 with all then-current ECOs applied. Well, OK, and with PCSI ECO capabilities added.

I'd also analyze the cause for the crash, and take a look at the available physical memory for the box, and at the queue manager's data structures. It would not surprise me to learn there are ECOs relevant for the queue manager, job control and/or DCPS within this range, too -- regardless, there are most certainly a number of mandatory ECOs.

Unfortunately, the trigger for this could be the crash. This could be insufficient physical memory or insufficient parameter settings, and this could also be creeping crud somewhere in the queue management.

Stephen Hoffman
HoffmanLabs
Wim Van den Wyngaert
Honored Contributor

What work before should work again.

I would kill the symbiont(s) running the dcps$smb executable. And then restart all the queues.

Wim
Wim
Russ Carraro
Regular Advisor

Thanks for the replies.

Wim, I've looked at the memory pools and they are 15-20% free so I don't think that is the issue. I did stop and restart the symbiont processes but the problem still exists. I'll look through the patches to see if I see anything relevant.

Karl, I'll download V2.6 and see what the release notes say.

Hoff, Thanks. Basically, the customer has always said no to any upgrades (patches/ecos ok). All the appropriate ecos should have been applied when V7.1 was installed. But I'll check them out. Also, the dump is currently being analyzed.

I think I'll get the customer to shutdown (power off) and reboot. That should reset any memory glitches.

Again, thanks to all.

Russ Carraro
Regular Advisor

Don't have a definite solution but the user is going to reboot.