1753587 Members
6758 Online
108796 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

DCPS and line per page

Denis Michaud
Occasional Advisor

DCPS and line per page

With DCPS, I try to print report produced by cobol (report writer).

The number of line printed does not respect the program. That is the title of then second page in printed at end of the first.

All pages are shifted

Denis Michaud
13 REPLIES 13
Hoff
Honored Contributor

Re: DCPS and line per page

There are a few variables here.

DCPS version.

The particular printer and potentially even its firmware.

The (likely) ASCII to Postscript conversion.

This could easily be a COBOL-level error, an ill-formatted ASCII construction in the file, or a conversion error, or a printer set-up issue.

Start by posting the OpenVMS version and patches, the DCPS version, the vendor and model identity of the printer, the DCL command(s) or details of whatever is submitting the job to the printer, the printer queue characteristics and configuration details, and (if it can be sufficiently sanitized) attach a zipped (via \zip "-V"\) copy of whatever document you're trying to print to a reply here.

If you're using any custom printer set-up modules, you'll want to identify those, too.
Denis Michaud
Occasional Advisor

The version of VMS : VMS831H1I
Last Update : V7.0
Cobol : V2.9
DCPS : V2.7

Attached : document to print (backup saveset)
Denis Michaud
Occasional Advisor

The VMS command that I used:

$ print /param=(data_type=ansi,PAGE_SIZE=a4,side=2,number_up=2,page_orientation=landscape)-
/que=impexp07_dcps xx.xx
Denis Michaud
Occasional Advisor

I Assigned the queue to "HPGENERIC"

Denis M
Hoff
Honored Contributor

Which printer vendor and printer model?

SHOW QUEUE/FULL for the queue?

If the printer supports ASCII, try going directly via telnet or the lpr/lpb paths.

And FWIW, I'd asked for zip "-V" because I know that format gets through the quagmire of intervening systems, where the usual results of a BACKUP saveset transfer tends to a file corruption somewhere between slightly and seriously. You've now asked me for more work to get to your reproducer, in other words.
Denis Michaud
Occasional Advisor

Printer queue IMPEXP07_DCPS, idle, on SSQ11::"IP_LPD/10.3.95.1:VMS_Usager", mounted form DCPS$DEFAULT (stock=DEFAULT)
/BASE_PRIORITY=4 /DEFAULT=(FORM=DCPS$DEFAULT (stock=DEFAULT)) /NOENABLE_GENERIC /LIBRARY=DCPS_LIB Lowercase /OWNER=[SYSTEM]
/PROCESSOR=DCPS$SMB /PROTECTION=(S:M,O:D,G:R,W:S) /SCHEDULE=(NOSIZE)

Here we use a printer server that can print report on any printer but often it's an HP 4345 MFP
Hoff
Honored Contributor

What is this "printer server" device here? Is there some additional device between the OpenVMS box and the LaserJet 4345mfp series printer? Maybe some sort of a host or controller that's processing and forwarding print jobs?

What happens if you start removing some pieces from this configuration, and (for instance) send the print job directly to the LaserJet MFP 4345 via, say, LPR/LPD queue?
Denis Michaud
Occasional Advisor

I test DCPS 2.7 on a test environment and I cannot acces directly the printer.

However, I did a test on environment with the printer in the network and DCPS 2.6 on ALPHA. It's the same problem.

Printer queue IMPEXP07_DCPS, idle, on SSQ7::"IP_RawTCP/10.17.0.52:9100"

Denis
Hoff
Honored Contributor

Get DCPS completely out of the way. You're not really using that for anything other than converting ASCII to Postscript.

Set up a print queue via TCP/IP Services directly into the LaserJet 4345mfp (via LPR, most likely), send the ASCII text file directly, and see if that works. This LaserJet reportedly supports US ASCII directly, so...

Better yet, if you have the option, call up HP support and have them sort this all out; this looks to involve HP gear end-to-end, and it's not working, so....