New Discussion юеВ

Re: DCPS is "free" isn't it?

SOLVED
Go to solution
Art Wiens
Respected Contributor

DCPS is "free" isn't it?

According to the SPD:

The right to use DECprint Supervisor for OpenVMS is included with the Foundation Operating Environment (FOE) for OpenVMS I64, and with the license for the OpenVMS Alpha and OpenVMS VAX operating systems.

In my mind that means it's "free". I have an (Alpha) SPL subscription but it doesn't allow access to the VAX area of distribution. I have asked HP Software Support if I can get a copy of DCPSVAX027, but they say I have to buy the VAX SPL.

You have to pay to be able to run software that doesn't require a(n additional) license? We do pay for annual VMS license support.

Am I wrong to think I am entitled to the DCPS kit for free?

Cheers,
Art
10 REPLIES 10
Art Wiens
Respected Contributor

Just to be clear, we pay annual maintenance for both Alpha and VAX VMS licenses - HP Software Updates Service - which includes "License to Use & SW Updates".

Art
Volker Halle
Honored Contributor

Art,

you may need to purchase the 'media kit'. Or find someone, who can provide that kit for you. You have the rights to use DCPS.

Volker.
Art Wiens
Respected Contributor

Why wouldn't HP be "kind enough" to supply the kit to a paying customer? Apparently the hundreds of thousands of dollars we give them a year (for all our maintenance corporate-wide) isn't enough to give me a freebie for free? Nice.

Art
MarkOfAus
Valued Contributor

Art,

Contact your HP account manager and talk to him/her. I would be surprised if you don't get your software. We asked and received and we spend a bit on support.

Regards,
Mark.
Hoff
Honored Contributor

HP Enterprise has not adopted an open download model nor an online purchase and download and install model for their software products, and does tend to operate with a "pull" (request) model for distribution media in recent times. That written, there can be credentials included within some of the HP software support contracts; the keys to an HP ftp server with the kits.

Here's the current (restricted) download page:

http://h30266.www3.hp.com/MasterIndexZip/VV/09naa_2_7_ssb.zip

Art Wiens
Respected Contributor

Software Support is holding the line and saying I have to contact Contract Admin for SPL access ie. buy it or my Account Support Manager. I'll try the latter ... I can't justify buying something that's free to my manager ;-)

Cheers,
Art
Ian Miller.
Honored Contributor

Do check to see if one of the bits of paper you get has the username/password for the ftp site. The username/password change each quarter.

Yes, I'm aware they change quarterly, I am able to access the Alpha SPL area, but the same credentials do not allow access to the VAX area.

Thanks,
Art
Bill Hall
Honored Contributor
Solution

Art,

Did you know that the kit you are looking for, HP-VAXVMS-DCPS-V0207--1.PCSI, zips down to about 1.5MB (too big to attach here).

Do you have an email account on a server that will handle a 1.5MB attachment?

Bill
Bill Hall