HPE Community read-only access December 15, 2018
This is a maintenance upgrade. You will be able to read articles and posts, but not post or reply.
Hours:
Dec 15, 4:00 am to 10:00 am UTC
Dec 14, 10:00 pm CST to Dec 15, 4:00 am CST
Dec 14, 8:00 pm PST to Dec 15, 2:00 am PST
Operating System - OpenVMS
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DEC AlphaServer 5/400RM NVRAM Firmware copy to Floppy

SOLVED
Go to solution
Raymond Napier
Occasional Advisor

DEC AlphaServer 5/400RM NVRAM Firmware copy to Floppy

I own a DEC AlphaServer 5/400RM running OpenVMS 6.2-1H3. I currently have no issues with the server or the software. I would however like to backup the NVRAM (SRM/ARC Firmware) to Floppy. I would also like to make the floppy a bootable disk so that it can be used to restore the NVRAM (SRM/ARC Firmware) information if needed.

My Current Firware is as follows:

SRM = V4.8-74
ARC = V5.28
PALCODE = (Openvms) V1.19-4
(Dgital-Unix) V1.21-6

Serial ROM =V1.4

How do I go about this, what are the command strokes from either a termainal or from the GUI.

Thanks for any help on this you can give. I do have the Owners Guide which gives limited info on this type of transfer.

Ray Napier
Napier Semiconductor Soluitons
semics@ptd.net
4 REPLIES
Steven Schweda
Honored Contributor

Re: DEC AlphaServer 5/400RM NVRAM Firmware copy to Floppy

"DEC AlphaServer 5/400RM"?

Are you trying to save the custom _settings_
or the firmware itself? Normally one simply
loads the firmware from a firmware CD (or
floppy). I know of no simple way to record
(or restore) all the custom settings (but
that's not an impossiblity proof).

A Google search for "alpha firmware" finds:

http://ftp.digital.com/pub/Digital/Alpha/firmware/
Raymond Napier
Occasional Advisor

Thanks for the reply.

The server that I am using is a DEC Alpha Server 1000a 5/400 RM. I have seen some limited redirection of the output to the DVA0 drive. I also have seen that the latest Firmware allows for the copy of the nvram to floppy. I just would like to have backups of my firmware as this server is running Varian PVD wafer processing equipment. The version of firmware is an old one (vintage 1997). I will however use your information to see how a spare server performs running the newer firmware with the 6.2-1H3 OpenVMS.

Thanks again for the info.
Volker Halle
Honored Contributor
Solution

Ray,

according to chapter 2.5.5 of the V5.7 FW Release Notes for the AlphaServer 1000A, you could boot from a V5.7 Firmware CD and just use LFU from the CD to save/restore the NVRAM data to a floppy.

Running with the most recent firmware should - in general - not cause any problems with OpenVMS.

Volker.
Raymond Napier
Occasional Advisor

HI Volker,

I had downloaded and read the release notes before, but had not tried to upgrade the firmware until yesterday. I only went to release 5.0, but during the course of the upgrade I noticed that I did have a chance to either view my existing firmware before actually performing the upgrade.

I will go ahead and do the same with the 5.7 release and attempt the save_nvram during the course of the upgrade if possible.

My biggest problem was actually getting a new Alpha Server 1000A 5/500 RM to boot using the 6.2-1H3 software that I had imaged over to another hard drive. I kept getting a HRWPB error and the boot would stop. I found that I needed to set the bus_probe_algorithm to new. Once I did this I was able to boot the Alpha from the DKA0 drive as per the norm with my systems. This is the first time I have had to do anything greater than setting the Bootdef_dev.

I will upgrade to the 5.7 firmware. Thanks again for this information. I will back up my old firmware prior to the upgrade using the 5.7 disk/cdrom

Best Regards

Ray Napier