Operating System - OpenVMS
1751906 Members
4833 Online
108783 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

DEC LAT - Windows 2000/XP driver

Milan Velebit

DEC LAT - Windows 2000/XP driver

Running a DEC 4200 VAX VMS 5.5.2 system and want to use the LAT protocol access on a Windows 2000/XP pro system with Attachmate KEA! 420 software. However, the Attachmate software does not have the Windows LAT driver and I can not find one. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
15 REPLIES 15
Ian Miller.
Honored Contributor

Re: DEC LAT - Windows 2000/XP driver

Why LAT?

DECnet is available as part of the pathworks client.

There are 2 reasons. First, I believe that DECNET is not installed and/or configured on the VAX, and second the Pathworks client is not installed on the client, which has the Attachmate KEA software that emulated a VTxxx terminal, either using serial/modem lines or LAT service. However, KEA needs the Windows LAT driver. Thanks.
Volker Halle
Honored Contributor

Milan,

Pathworks 32 Client also offers connectivity via the LAT protocol.

http://h71000.www7.hp.com/pathworks32/

Volker.
Milan Velebit

Thank you - I will look into it further, and I guess that the LAT driver will be on the Pathworks client distribution. - Milan
Basil Hendroff
Occasional Advisor

Not used the Attachmate terminal emulator before, but a google reveals that KEA! 420 is not supported on 2000/XP. It appears that KEA! 2000 is though. If you plan to stick with Attachmate, you may need to consider upgrading.

If not, Pathworks and Reflections are a couple of good alternatives. There are others as well.

Better still, is TCP/IP installed on the VAX? If so, and there are no special emulation requirements, just use a generic TCP/IP emulator (free) such as HyperTerminal built into 2000/XP.
Martin Vorlaender
Honored Contributor

Milan,

back when KEA! was still named KEAterm there was a product by the same company named KEAlink LAT. But I believe it has not been updated in some time, so it probably won't work under 2k/XP.

cu,
Martin
Andy Bustamante
Honored Contributor

Depending on your networking environment, Cisco has support to translate telnet to LAT within a variety of devices. I've had customers use this option with excellent results.
If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over? Reach me at first_name + "." + last_name at sysmanager net
Doug Phillips
Trusted Contributor

Milan,

If you have a newer Pathworks 32 client CD (version 7.4 is the latest one I have) then you can install LAT from that. Just don't install the license requestor or anything else. The CD also contains the PowerTerm 525 terminal emulator which does a very nice job.

-Doug
Ian Miller.
Honored Contributor

If you have a VMS Distribution kit then the Pathworks client CD should be included.