108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: DEC Windows Motif

SOLVED
Go to solution
Mahmoud_1
Frequent Advisor

DEC Windows Motif

I want to make the GUI appears on my PC when I start the Xcursion server as the True64 UNIX or HP-UX .
I can only execute the GUI by:
$ set display .... (comand)
$ run sys$system:decw$startlogin

Can I publish my server name or address to be appeared when I start the Xcursion server
Best regards.
10 REPLIES 10
Willem Grooters
Honored Contributor

Mahmoud,
AFAIK eXcursion server is located on the PC. Under the control panel, you find tab "Accounts" you can specify nodes to access, by name or IP-address, giving a username, password and transport.
Another tab is XDMCP, wheer you are able to query specific hosts but I'm not familair with the protocol (Since I have only one (VMS) host, Broadcast is Ok. But it may cause eXcursion to come up with a list of hosts you can connect to)

It _might_ be you need something on the Tru64/HP-UX side to be able to do this.

Willem Grooters
OpenVMS Developer & System Manager
Mahmoud_1
Frequent Advisor

Thanks For answering me but in fact I enabled the XDMCP on the PC side and I found all the servers in my network except the alpha running OpenVMS so are there any setup to be done on the server side?
to make the server service appeared on the eXcursion XDMCP when I started it.

Best regards.
Mohamed  K Ahmed
Trusted Contributor

when you do a broadcast, the VMS system should appear in the window and say (willing to manage), you can choose it and it will open DECwindows on your PC
I use WRQ Reflections

HTH

Mohamed
Martin P.J. Zinser
Honored Contributor

Hi,

stupid question, did you configure and start XDM on your VMS system? If not execute @sys$manager:tcpip$config and select server components.

I think you need at least TCP/IP 5.3 for this to work.

Greetings, Martin
Willem Grooters
Honored Contributor

Sorry, forgot that ;-(
Willem Grooters
Mahmoud_1
Frequent Advisor

Martin,
It's not stupid question , and I configured the TCPIP 1000 times before and the XDM service enabled and started, so thanks for your Goooood answer.

Best regrds.

Mahmoud.
Willem Grooters
Honored Contributor

Mahmoud,

I just realized there may be another thing: security. (It's VMS, you know). My memory whispers that there would be some place within DecWindows that specifies which systems have XDM access. I can't exactly remember where and what....
Perhaps it rings a bell somewhere, I hope...

Willem
Willem Grooters
amaury
Occasional Advisor
Solution

Security or access control !!!
The XACCESS.TXT file allows or restricts access to remote X servers. If this file is not present, the system restricts all remote X server access.
The default file specification is
sys$specific:[tcpip$xdm]xaccess.TXT

Hope this help
But have a look to HP TCP/IP Service for OpenVMS manual chapter 21 (Configuring XDMCP-Compatbile X Displays

Michel
Yruama
Lokesh_2
Esteemed Contributor

Hi,

Yes, that's right. I am using XDMCP protocol to access my VMS machine . Simply put a * in your file. This will allow all users to access the system via XDMCP. If you do not find XACCESS.TXT on you sys$sysdevice:[tcpip$xdm] directory, then copy sys$sysdevice:[tcpip$xdm]xaccess.template to xaccess.txt.

One more thing, if you running older version of xcursion server on your pc, then you need to update xservers.txt accordingly ( copy xservers.template, if .txt not present ).

HTH,
Best regards,
Lokesh Jain
What would you do with your life if you knew you could not fail?