1752772 Members
4864 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: DEC warnings

Malleka Ramachandran
Frequent Advisor

DEC warnings

We upgraded to OpenVMS 6.2 and DEC C 6.0 on the Alpha.
When I recompile our application, I am getting a warning about static initializers. I don't understand the meaning/implication of this. I would appreciate if someone could explain this to me.
What we have is array of structures of about 50 entries and the values of the descriptor strings are initialized in the header file.

I get the following message:
NDMEVL$T$_LINKFAILURE , NDMEVL$C$_USER_INTERFACE , ui_LinkFailure ,
..^
%CC-W-STATINITWARN, The linker will be unable to perform this static initializa
tion if the initializer is defined in a sharable image.
at line number 191 in file $1$DKB200:[NDM.3300DEV.NDM.INCLUDE]NDM$EVENT_DESCRIPTION.H;1

NDMEVL$T$_RUNJOBREMOTECOMPLETE , NDMEVL$C$_SESSION_REQUESTER , sтЩж
..^
tion if the initializer is defined in a sharable image.
at line number 237 in file $1$DKB200:[NDM.3300DEV.NDM.INCLUDE]NDM$EVENT_DESCRIP
TION.H;1
Fatal: Insufficient virtual memory to continue compilation.
%LIB-F-INSVIRMEM, insufficient virtual memory

I looked up the description of the warning and it says "
CC

STATINITWARN

Message The linker will be unable to perform this static
initialization if the initializer is defined in a
sharable image.

Description A static initialization will require that a link-time
constant be truncated. If the constant is resolved
in a sharable image, the linker will issue a
diagnostic and be unable to perform the
initialization. This message is output on OpenVMS
systems only.

User Action Rewrite the static initialization so that the link-time constant will not be truncated.

I would appreciate if someone could throw some light on this.

Thanks,
Malleka

16 REPLIES 16
Steven Schweda
Honored Contributor

> We upgraded to OpenVMS 6.2 and DEC C 6.0 on the Alpha.

From ...?

> %LIB-F-INSVIRMEM, insufficient virtual memory

I'd start by increasing your pagefile quota,
or whatever is causing this one.

> %CC-W-STATINITWARN [...]

Knowing nothing, I'd expect a link-time
constant to be an address of some sort, and
you might be trying to put a 64-bit value
into a 32-bit destination. Without seeing
any of the declarations, it's hard to say.
(Of course, even if I saw them all, it might
_still_ be hard for _me_ to say.)
Hein van den Heuvel
Honored Contributor

Hmmm, DEC C 6.0 is still pretty old.
7.1 is current and 6.5 has been available since early 2002 or so.

http://h71000.www7.hp.com/commercial/c/c_index.html

INVIRMEM is like a quota problem as replied earlier. Specifically check out the PGFLQUO value with authorize for the user running the compiler, or when logged in as that user issue "SHOW PROC/QUO" and look for "Paging file quota:"

as for the STATINITWARN... it means exactly what it says. Rules may have been tightened, old problems may now have been recognized. That is, that same code in the older version may have had the same gotcha, but the older compiler failed to warn you for it.
If you do not intent to create a shareable image then you can ignore it, but I would take it as a suggestion that there is something fishy about the variable initialization done at line 191 and 237 and try to do something about it.
If you need help on that, then you probably need to include relevant chunks of the source code, and underlying structure definitions as a text attachment to a subsequent reply.

hth,
Hein.

John Gillings
Honored Contributor

Malleka,

STATINITWARN means the initialisation of a variable involves the address of another variable which is not declared within the scope that the compiler can "see" at compile time. The warning is telling you that if the target variable is ultimately resolved from a shareable image, the assumptions made by the compiler may be broken, and you may get incorrect results.

For a full explanation for how to resolve this, you'd need to post a small reproducer.
A crucible of informative mistakes
Malleka Ramachandran
Frequent Advisor

I think I did not describe the scenario regarding the versions. What I meant by upgrade was the following scenario:

We have our application running on OpenVMS AXP 1.5, C compiler 1.3-000A.
The client has agreed to move on to higher OS versions, so as a first step we are porting the application to OpenVMS 6.2H3. We have a new Alpha box with this version, which has DEC C 6.0 installed. The warnings I mentioned above are while recompiling the application on this box.
Yes, I understand that the pgflquota could be an issue as mentioned in the replies but I would like to understand this condition so that it will be useful when we go further with more recent OS versions (and the corresponding C compiler versions).
If the DEC C version needs to be upgraded, as mentioned in one of the replies, I can work in that direction too.
Attached is the source and header files.

Thanks,
Malleka
Malleka Ramachandran
Frequent Advisor

I'm not sure if both files got attached to my previous message, so I'm sending the header files, just in case.
John Gillings
Honored Contributor

Malleka,

Sorry, I can't compile your code, way too many missing include files, and way too much code.

You should be able to cut out the definitions for ONE object that's generating this error and produce a small, self contained source module that anyone can compile. It doesn't matter if the program doesn't make sense.

So, for example, why not start with:

NDMEVL$C$_USER_INTERFACE , ui_LinkFailure ,
..^

Trace back all the dependent definitions and place them in a single file.
John Gillings
Honored Contributor

Malleka,
If you can dig out the definition of
ndm$event_description, I may be able to reproduce the symptom.
Malleka Ramachandran
Frequent Advisor

Sorry I could not get the header file ndm$event_description.h to get attached to my posting for some reason. I am trying to do it again. I also have modified the c source to exclude other include statements.

Thanks,
Malleka
Malleka Ramachandran
Frequent Advisor

I did not reaalize the header files I attached in my previous message has more includes in it. here are the the two other header files.