1752577 Members
4684 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: DECNET IV & V Cohabitation

Ian Miller.
Honored Contributor

parhaps you could post the show know links dcl to dcl.openvms.org along with calculate_vups.com?

Will do. I'm currently awfully in a hurry to post my new newsletter on the VAX/VMS to Itanium Migration Issue. I will take some time to document my best procs, then I will submit them to Ken Farmer.

Thanks for the reminder.

D.
(aka "the return of DTL")
Antoniov.
Honored Contributor

Didier wrote:

> Course it works, fortunately :-)
Every node may have installed Decnet pahse IV and Decnet/osi

Excuse to all, I wrong.
Everytime I've installed OpenVms I read a warning message told me don't install Decnet/osi and Decnet phase IV, so I always bilieved it is not possible.

Bye
Antoniov
Antonio Maria Vigliotti

Antonio,

What is possible is to have mixed DECnet networks.

What is impossible is to install DECnet IV and DECnet V on the same system.

Better?

D.
(aka "the return of DTL")
Martin P.J. Zinser
Honored Contributor

To come back to the original posters issue.

If your networks folks want to go IP only (which is in some way understandable given the support for DECnet e.g. by Cisco), you either have to switch all your systems to Phase V (including the VAXes) to use DECnet over IP or bite the bullet and migrate entirely to IP. If I had to make this choice I most probably would go the IP route rather. Besides of the managability of Phase V you will also always have the problem that your network guys will claim that any connectivity problem you have is actually caused by encapsulating the alien protocol (which is not true, but they will use it as an excuse anyhow)