7275 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: DECNET PROXY ERROR

gunners
Frequent Advisor

DECNET PROXY ERROR

Hi ,

Having an issue doing a 'directory' across a decnet scenario using proxy (it works fine by using username and password - here is the basic outline :

Three systems here - SYSTEM A , SYSTEM B and SYSTEM C

SYSTEM A to SYSTEM C (all works fine)

SYSTEM B is a test version of SYSTEM A (so I want to get SYSTEM B connecting to SYSTEM C)

SYSTEM B can set host to SYSTEM C (So I know I have connectivity over Decnet)

SYSTEM B can do a directory over the link of files on SYSTEM C (using username and password)

SYSTEM B has all  the proxy entries when I 'show/proxy * in UAF'

(Can I add at this point that I had copied over the net$proxy and netproxy.dat files from SYSTEM A to SYSTEM B (to save having to enter in all the manual entries)

Im stuck now as to what else I need to do , thanks guys in advance

4 REPLIES 4
Volker Halle
Honored Contributor

Have your created new proxies on SYSTEM C for SYSTEM B ?

SYSTEM C: UAF> ADD/PROXY SYSTEM_B::user user/DEFAULT

The PROXIES need to be defined on the system RECEIVING the DECnet connection.

Volker.

gunners
Frequent Advisor

Volker ,

Thanks for the pointer - that could be part of the problem. I just noticed also that there were 'historical' proxy entries in the SYSTEM C proxy database relating to a previous version of SYSTEM B (with the same server name but different decnet address etc)

Onwards I go - will update here what the solution is when I get sorted

Thanks again

Hoff
Honored Contributor

What is the OpenVMS version and architecture, and the DECnet phase and patch level?

What are the specific commands that work and do not work?

Is this DECnet Phase IV or Phase V  (Phase V is also known as DECnet-Plus, and DECnet/OSI)?   (If you're not using specific features of DECnet Phase V such as DECnet-over-IP or a few related V-only features, I would recommend an upgrade from Phase V to Phase IV.  IV is simpler, less resource-intensive, and generally easier to manage.)

Review the details present in the NET*SERVER.LOG log files on the target system when the password-based login works. Specifically, does the target system (with the log file) have a host name translation for the source system, or is it showing a DECnet address?  (The proxy records require a match here; you'll usually want a host name.)

Far more portable and infinitely more secure, use sftp with a no-password or passphrase-based certificate login for your remote access.

I'd also recommend reviewing available resources, such as the comp.os.vms newsgroup archives.

John Gillings
Honored Contributor

Please post the output from each system of:

$ DIR A::LOGIN.COM

$ DIR B::LOGIN.COM

$ DIR C::LOGIN.COM

Exact text of the error messages should identifiy the problem.

A crucible of informative mistakes