108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

DECNet Phase V -- Related question.

SOLVED
Go to solution
The Brit
Honored Contributor

DECNet Phase V -- Related question.

Based on an earlier thread, it seems that if there is an entry for a remote host in DECNET_REGISTER, then, by default, the DECNet V address in DECNET_REGISTER will always take precidence over DECNet-over-IP. The result of this is that any registered node to whom DECNet traffic is blocked, would incur a 30-40 second delay while the Phase V attempt timed out.

Question 1: If all of your hosts are running DECNet-over-IP, is there a way to make IP name resolution the "first" option? (short of removing everyone from DECNET_REGISTER)

Question 2: Is there a good and valid reason for NOT removing everyone from DECNET_REGISTER?

(No-one at my site is running Phase IV)

Dave
4 REPLIES 4
Joseph Huber_1
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: DECNet Phase V -- Related question.

Question 1:
I think if You change in net$configure->change naming information from
Enter the directory services to use on the system [LOCAL,DOMAIN]
to [DOMAIN,LOCAL] or just [DOMAIN], then DNS resolution takes preference.

And I think if [DOMAIN] alone works, then question 2 is also answered.
http://www.mpp.mpg.de/~huber
Ian Miller.
Honored Contributor

Changing the naming to DOMAIN, LOCAL is OK.
If you only have DOMAIN then be careful what SYS$NODE is set to. I think you get the first 6 characters of the host name specified.

You can remove other nodes from DECNET_REGISTER.

Thanks Guys,

I'll try this out on my test system and see if this is an acceptable solution.

Dave.
Steve Reece_3
Trusted Contributor

Dave,
For a new installation, you can set the address to 0.0 if you are just going to run DECnet over IP and always use IP name resolution. Not sure if it will allow you to "retrofit" that address though.

Earlier implementations (and possibly still current versions) REQUIRED that LOCAL was included in the address towers that were used on a node. One couldn't just use DOMAIN. This may have been changed with later versions though.

Steve