1752795 Members
6222 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

DECServer 700-16

Michael Pacenza
Occasional Contributor

DECServer 700-16

A power failure occurred and the DECServer 700-16 port settings were reset to default. The attached file contains the default port settings.

I am using the DECServer to connect to the console port on a VAX7400. This is a serial port connection.

1 - What are the proper port settings to setup a DECServer 700-16 port as a serial port connected the a VAX7740 console port.

2 - What is the proper "service" settings to connect to a port.
6 REPLIES 6
Ian Miller.
Honored Contributor

Re: DECServer 700-16

basically if its port 1

Local> change telnet listener 2001 ports 1
Local> change telnet listener 2001 connections enabled
Local> change port 1 access remote

then you can telnet to the IP address of the DECserver specifying port 2001 and you will get port 1.

local> define port 1 autob dis autop dis broad dis loss not dis
local> logout port 1

Are you just using LAT, or are you also using TCP/IP for access to the port?

Also, are you accessing the console from a local terminal on another DECserver port or from a PC using a terminal emulator?

The DECserver should not have lost its port settings after a power failure. These settings are retained in NVRAM. There are 3 command types for setting the parameters: SET will change the current setting, but will not save it in NVRAM; DEFINE will change it in NVRAM but not the current setting; CHANGE will modify both the current setting and NVRAM. You can do a DEFINE PORT command to set the NVRAM and then LOGOUT the port to reset CURRENT. Unless the actual server is swapped out, you should never lose your port settings.

The SERVICE settings are similar to port settings (SET, DEFINE, CHANGE). The setup would be DEFINE SERVICE name PORT x SERVICE ENABLED QUEUE DISABLED. I may be missing one parameter (I'm not in front of a server right now).

Allan
Michael Pacenza
Occasional Contributor

I have a VXT2000 connected to Port12 on a DECServer. The VXT2000 boots from an InfoServer via Ethernet. The VXT2000 loads properly.

I have a VAX7400 console port on Port5 of the DECServer. There was a "service" setup on the DECServer "U1VAXCP" that allowed me to connect to the VAX7400 so that during the boot process the boot matrix was displayed on the VXT2000. The personnel that setup this configuration (in 1995) are no longer available to me. It is my understanding that the port was set up as a printer port. A serial port? I know the NVM port configuration settings should not have been affected by a power loss, but the setting
they were. All 16 ports are at default. I have tried several combinations of the Port5 setting and a service to connect to the VAX7400, with no luck. I have attached additional info, port setting, connections failure info...
Allan Bowman
Respected Contributor

I won't be able to look at my equipment until Wednesday afternoon, but in the meantime I do know that the ACCESS value on your port 5 does need to be REMOTE. I believe you will also need to disable AUTOBAUD (and DEFINE the baud rate) and disable AUTOPROMPT for port 5.

I have a similar setup for a number of MicroVAX consoles so that they can all be accessed from a single terminal on the DECserver (I don't remember if I've got it on a DECserver 200 or 300, but it should be almost the same configuration for the 700).

Allan
Michael Yu_3
Valued Contributor

Hi Michael,

When you create a local service provided by the terminal server, you have to associate it with some ports of the terminal server. In your case, it should be port 5, which connects to the console of the VAX.

LOCAL> Change service U1VAX1CP ports 5
LOCAL> Change service U1VAX1CP connect enab

When you do a show service, the rating should NOT be zero.

Also the port should have access remote or dynamic.

LOCAL> Change port 5 access dynamic

You should be able to see the service U1VAX1CP. Connecting to this service will connect you to the console of VAX7740.

Thanks and regards.

Michael