DECServer 700-16

Dec server 700-16

I have a DecServer 700-16 that we have moved to a new network
so I need to change ip-adress on it.
I have connected a vt100 terminal on port 1
and the terminalserver writes on the screen that it wants
wweng1.sys
However I can't get it to load wweng1.sys and I can't connect
to the decserver with the vt100 terminal.

Any clues how I can get it up and running and change ip-adress on it?
I have an alpha with openvms where other terminalservers load their
software but I can't get this one to load however normally it's
connected to a HP-UX server and it worked before we moved it to the new network.
18 REPLIES 18
Robert Gezelter
Honored Contributor

Re: DECServer 700-16

Gert,

I suspect that the downline load request (probably using the DECnet MOP protocol) is not reaching a suitable host system.

Beyond just setting the IP address information, this will be an ongoing problem every time the server needs to reboot.

Check you network infrastructure.

- Bob Gezelter, http://www.rlgsc.com
Gert Albertsson
Regular Advisor

Thanks for your answer.
However I have connected the decserver 700-16 to the same network hub that connects the Alpha server that runs Decnet mop protocol and it also contains wweng1.sys
software.

Steven Schweda
Honored Contributor
Solution

My actual experience is limited to the
somewhat less modern DECserver 200/MC, but
from what Google can find on a 700 ...

It can probably use MOP or bootp to download
its software. Presumably, if it was doing it
from an HP-UX system, it was using bootp, not
MOP, although it may be willing to try either
one.

What are you running on the Alpha? VMS
version? DECnet version? TCPIP (or other
TCP/IP package) version? LANCP? Do you
have a bootp server configured? Is there a
WWENG1.SYS file anywhere?

MOP? DIRE SYS$COMMON:[MOM$SYSTEM]
or SHOW LOGICAL MOM*, MOP*
and look around for WWENG1.SYS.

REPLY /ENABLE, and look for interesting
messages when you power up the DECserver.

How are the working units doing their
downloads? Are they also 700's?

What are the actual messages from (and LED
patterns on) the DECserver?

You might also take it back to its old
network, get some software downloaded, note
how it happens, and investigate the
DECserver's configuration when it's not so
stupid.
Lawrence Czlapinski
Trusted Contributor

Gert, 1. The DECserver 700-16 needs to download wweng1.sys from a host. There must be a host that can reach it via MOP or other protocol that can download. MOP protocol may not be getting bridged to that part of your network. There may be a router or bridge which isn't passing MOP protocol download request to a host.
2. You won't be able to connect to the DECserver till there is a download.
Lawrence
Vladimir Fabecic
Honored Contributor

As everybody said, you have to load boot image wweng1.sys to terminal server. You can do it usinf two protocols: MOP and tftp. To use both protocols, you MUST have load host in your LAN or subnet (i.e. on the same network part). If you do not have Unix or VMS host in the new network, you can use one of tftp servers for windows (for PC). There are many of them for windows.
Regards
In vino veritas, in VMS cluster
Vladimir Fabecic
Honored Contributor

As everybody said, you have to load boot image wweng1.sys to terminal server. You can do it using two protocols: MOP and tftp. To use both protocols, you MUST have load host in your LAN or subnet (i.e. on the same network part). If you do not have Unix or VMS host in the new network, you can use one of tftp servers for windows (for PC). There are many of them for windows.
Regards
In vino veritas, in VMS cluster
Bob Blunt
Respected Contributor

Gert,

You moved the DECserver to a new network and it can't get a load host. You should be getting messages on the DECserver's console port saying that it tried (at least) MOP, BOOTP and timed out. If the DECserver's network "segment" doesn't have a suitably configured system that can respond to the download it won't boot, as you've seen. I saw that you mentioned that an Alpha with WWENG1.SYS was on the same hub with the DECserver. That Alpha, if running OpenVMS, must also be configured with "service enabled" on the network circuit that attaches to that hub for it to respond to a MOP request for that DECserver.

Again, IF that Alpha is running OpenVMS *AND* DECnet Phase IV, check the following
1) $ write sys$output f$getsyi("DECNET_VERSION") "00040000" is Phase IV.
2) MC NCP
3) SHOW KNOWN CIRC (ex. EWA-0
4) SHOW CIRC EWA-0 CHAR

IF you see "Service = disabled" then you'll have to enable service to get that system to reply to MOP download requests.

If you see "Service = enabled" I'd check to see if your hub has any VLANs setup. Check the Alpha's system console for errors during download requests. Check the hub's port and make sure that the DECserver is connected to a port that is configured for 10MB HALF Duplex (you hub may not be autoconfiguring properly). If you have error messages, the protection on WWENG1.SYS may be wrong or something else. IF running OpenVMS, that Alpha may also be setup to be using LANCP or DECnet Phase V. Both can be setup to answer to MOP requests to download that file for the DECserver.

As long as WWENG1.SYS is properly formatted on the system performing the download, the DECserver shouldn't care if you use an IP-based download or MOP. Not getting an answer to any of it's requests provides the same result, it won't boot and there's no "core O/S" running on the DECserver that will boot to provide you any interaction with the device. The timeout "waits" just get longer. For a test can the DECserver be moved back to it's original location? Does it boot there? Swap the cable or try a different MAU?

bob
Jan van den Ende
Honored Contributor

Gert,

from your Forum Profile:

I have assigned points to 7 of 62 responses to my questions.

Several of those date back to 2004.

Maybe you can find some time to do some assigning?

http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/helptips.do?#33

Mind, I do NOT say you necessarily need to give lots of points. It is fully up to _YOU_ to decide how many. If you consider an answer is not deserving any points, you can also assign 0 ( = zero ) points, and then that answer will no longer be counted as unassigned.
Consider, that every poster took at least the trouble of posting for you!

To easily find your streams with unassigned points, click your own name somewhere.
This will bring up your profile.
Near the bottom of that page, under the caption ├в My Question(s)├в you will find ├в questions or topics with unassigned points ├в Clicking that will give all, and only, your questions that still have unassigned postings.

Thanks on behalf of your Forum colleagues.

PS. ├в nothing personal in this. I try to post it to everyone with this kind of assignment ratio in this forum. If you have received a posting like this before ├в please do not take offence ├в none is intended!

Proost.

Have one on me.

jpe
Don't rust yours pelled jacker to fine doll missed aches.
Andreas Vollmer
Valued Contributor

Hej Gert,
The DEC (Ascii) Terminal Server 700-16 even supports to boot of a memory flash card that can be inserted in the Terminal Server - for sure it depends the exact model of your Terminal Server.
But if you locate the slit in size of a PC card then you have the correct model.
DEC Server 700 = DEC Terminal Server 700 (nothing to do with MS Terminal Servers).

As soon you have obtained the memory card you don't need any host for loading anymore.

But first you need to fix the problem.
Here are some more information:
WWENG - The DECserver 700 and 900TM load the WWENG image.
o WWENG1 is the pre-NAS code that requires 1MB flash
o WWENG2 is the NAS code that requires a 2MB or bigger flash.

Ideas => www.digitalnetworks.net

or using
Access Server Manager V2.1a for Windows NT and Win95 ASM.
This little software enables loading of DEC Terminal Servers via a PC!
... and it works!
If you need the SW let me know and how to mail it to you.
The best would be using LANCP instead of MOP because it is easier to manage as DECnet-Plus MOP.
If you need the part number for the mentioned flash memory card I need some time to dig...
I have more information & scripts of how to manage the terminal server(s).
There is is even DEC TSM on the OpenVMS Freeware CD => FREEWARE V6.0 CD 2
http://h71000.www7.hp.com/openvms/freeware/

Cheers
Andreas
OpenVMS Forever!