1752562 Members
4622 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: DECWINDOWS X

Wim Van den Wyngaert
Honored Contributor

DECWINDOWS X

I have an alphastation 500 running VMS 7.3.
When I boot it, I start DECW in batch (don't ask why).
But on the grphical station, I have to do control f2 to get really into decw. Otherwise I stay in the console. I know that f2 is used to toggle.

Anyone an idea why I don't get decw directly ?
Wim
13 REPLIES 13
Lokesh_2
Esteemed Contributor

Hi ,

Check for sysgen parameter WINDOW_SYSTEM and for the following logical in systartup_vms.com

DEFINE DECW$IGNORE_DECWINDOWS TRUE

HTH,
Best regards,
Lokesh
What would you do with your life if you knew you could not fail?
Wim Van den Wyngaert
Honored Contributor

Nope. DECW did start but my graph station was in console mode. of course ignore is on because otherwise I am not able to start in batch. WINDOW_SYSTEM is on 1.
Wim
Martin P.J. Zinser
Honored Contributor

Hello Wim,

I am not familiar with the AS500 anymore (this was a looong time ago). Does it have a switch at the back to enable the graphics screen as OPA0 and if yes how is it set?

Greetings, Martin
Wim Van den Wyngaert
Honored Contributor

Martin,

Yep. They are old (1997). But we use them until they fail (up to next decade !). We even have some older ones left (1995). Do you find many PC's of that age ?

I don't have any info about the switches at the back. But since they were not changed when switching to batch mode, this should have nothing to do with it.

Another try ?
Wim
Lokesh_2
Esteemed Contributor

Hi,

I have a alpha server 2100 . I did the same, that is, started dec window in batch mode. But, I am NOT facing any problem. FYI, I am using VMS 7.3-1 & DWMOTIF V1.2-6.

Best regards,
Lokesh
What would you do with your life if you knew you could not fail?
Antoniov.
Honored Contributor

Hi Wim,
I don't know DecW; in my mind you could set graphical console in SRM.

@Antoniov
Antonio Maria Vigliotti
Martin P.J. Zinser
Honored Contributor

Hello Wim,

I've checked the DCLs in sys$startup and they give no indication of a different behaviour in interactive vs. batch mode. But since you do start in batch, is there a chance to write a log during the startup that might give us some more clues?

Greetings, Martin
Bob Blunt
Respected Contributor

Most of the, if not all, Alpha systems set the choice of console setup with a SRM environment variable. The majority I've setup by changing the variable "console" to either "serial" or "graphics."

Are there any particular error messages that you get when booting and starting up DECWindows? Does this only happen at boot-up or also if you restart DECWindows? What happens if/when you start DECWindows "normally" (not in batch)?

bob
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

About the WINDOW_SYSTEM parameter: there has been a longtime bug[*] in DECwindows. The startup does not honor it's setting - it decides on its own if DECwindows should be started (then it even sets WINDOWS_SYSTEM=1) or not. I have not checked the latest incarnation of OpenVMS and DECwindows.

[*] Even Fred Kleinsorge from OpenVMS engineering admitted in news:comp.os.vms that that behaviour is not correct.

http://groups.google.com/groups?q=%2Bvms+%2Bkleinsorge+%2B%22window_system%22&hl=de&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&selm=eIyF7.1277%24RL6.32514%40news.cpqcorp.net&rnum=2

If the URL does not work, I entered the following search parameters: +vms +kleinsorge +"window_system"