108811 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: DECnet OpenVMS and Cisco

geir_2
Super Advisor

DECnet OpenVMS and Cisco

Hi,

I hope that someone could help. But first, some background information:

I backup up one OpenVMS Workstation, and restored it on a new workstation. Later I renamed the name, change IP and DECnet address. I have to router and tow openVMS server.

I have trouble to use NITFS1, IP seems to be 100%, but DECnet doesn't work.

Hope that somebody could help be. I have no ideas anymore.
Pleeasseeeeee :-)

Geir
35 REPLIES 35
Hoff
Honored Contributor

OpenVMS version and platform?

DECnet Phase IV or DECnet-Plus? If you are using DECnet-Plus, are you using Phase IV or OSI or IP routing?

Check your Cisco routing. Most Cisco devices can be set up to route DECnet, or to bridge it; to treat it as its own virtual LAN. You'll need to use the Cisco monitoring to determine what IP and DECnet address(es) are where, and whether this is a routed or bridged configuration. And whether DECnet is enabled in your particular (new) configuration.

Is DECnet area routing in use? If so, is the node configured into the correct area for the DECnet network it is connected into?

Are you seeing DECnet-generated errors at startup, such as IVADDR or other such? IVADDR would imply a DECnet Phase IV address collision.

Does the new DECnet name match the new SCSNODE node name?

The spots that a node or host name can exist within OpenVMS can be found in the OpenVMS FAQ; the master copy of the FAQ is over at www.HoffmanLabs.com/vmsfaq -- there are quite a few spots that can need to be addressed when cloning nodes.

HoffmanLabs and other vendors are available to troubleshoot your node configuration and DECnet network. This would not be the first Cisco DECnet configuration with routing and bridging/VLAN oddities. And DECnet is certainly familiar territory.

Stephen Hoffman
HoffmanLabs
Volker Halle
Honored Contributor

Geir,

this seems to be a continuation of

http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=1092845

Why do you start a new topic for an old problem ?!

How is node 2.81 connected to the network ? As long as CIRCUIT EWA-0 remains in on-synchronizing state, you won't be able to communicate with that node using the DECnet protocol !

Volker.
geir_2
Super Advisor

Hi,

I'm using DECnet IV, and OpenVMS V6.2. Unfortunately, it's not possible for me to upgrade the software.

The network interface is ok, since I can use it with IP to ping FBUFS1 from NITFS1. The problem in this case is DECnet.

I'm confused, so if someone could give me hints if would be nice.

Geir

Hoff
Honored Contributor

The "EWA-0 on -synchronizing" error (from the previous thread) usually means that the network-related wiring isn't connected or isn't activated (either activated at the switch, or activated at the DECnet LINE level), or the DECnet host node NIC and the switch have incompatible settings, or you have a bad cable (or bad NIC), or other such.

If you have re-run NETCONFIG (Phase IV) or NET$CONFIGURE (DECnet Phase V, DECnet/OSI, DECnet-Plus) after having cloned this node and you (still) see this error, then it is likely that the connectivity problem is somewhere from the NIC outwards into the network cloud.

One approach would be to transfer the node to a known-working network tap, and re-try the DECnet connection there. (This assumes compatible DECnet areas are in use at both taps.)

Here are some of the usual suspects for the On Synchronizing states:

http://h71000.www7.hp.com/wizard/wiz_1930.html

If you entered the DECnet NCP commands "hot", it's quite easy to miss a SET or a DEFINE when activating stuff. Which is why I mention the configuration tools -- those will generally get you a working configuration, at least as far as the DECnet host node configuration is concerned.

Stephen Hoffman
HoffmanLabs
Volker Halle
Honored Contributor

Geir,

the fact that you can ping NITFS1 seems to rule out a hardware problem, so it's most likely some DECnet config issue !

Shutdown DECnet using:

$ MC NCP SET EXE STATE SHUT

and start it again using:

$ @STARTNET

watch for (and report here) any error messages - after carefully checking the Wizard article pointed to by Hoff.

Volker.
geir_2
Super Advisor

Hi,

All output tells that everything is ok, except follwing messages:

%NCP-i-NOINFO, No infrmation in database

Looks strange?? Maybe it could give some help to solve the problem??

Geir
Volker Halle
Honored Contributor

Geir,

the %NCP-I-NOINFO seems to be normal (compare it with your working OpenVMS system).

Do you get any OPCOM messages ($ REPLY/ENABLE) when starting DECnet ?

What do the LINE and CIRCUIT counters say (MC NCP SHOW KNO {LINE|CIRCUIT} COUNTER ?

WHich protocols are running on EWA0 ?
$ ANAL/SYS
SDA> SHOW LAN

SDA> SHOW LAN/FULL/DEV=EWA0 - has the Physical Address been set to the DECnet MAC address (AA-00-04-00-51-08) ?

Volker.
geir_2
Super Advisor

Hi,

The outputs from the command is attached below.

Geir

PS:
Hope it helps :-)
Volker Halle
Honored Contributor

Geir,

did you notice, that the EWA-0 LAN interface NEVER was able to send ANY packet -> all sends failed with Carrier Check failure. Check the interface, the cable and whatever is at the other end of the cable.

I would doubt VERY MUCH, that your - apparently successful - IP PING tests actually reach that LAN interface. The DECnet LINE counters should show the same values as the LAN interface counters shown in SDA> SHOW LAN/DEV=EWA/COUNT - do you see any successful transmits there ?

Volker.