108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: DECnet OpenVMS and Cisco

geir_2
Super Advisor

Hi again,

Thanks again :-)
The network cavle is 100% ok, and the IP protocols also seems to be ok. Why DECnet does not work is mysterious.

The router coluld also see the OpenVMS workstation, but the Workstation could noe see the router. Why?

Thanks Geir
Volker Halle
Honored Contributor

Geir,

the LAN interface called EWA0 did NEVER successfully send any packets. All send attempts failed with 'carrier check failure'.

Are you running IP over the same interface (UCX SHOW INT) ?

If you do SDA> SHOW LAN/COUNT you can see the counters for each protocol unit. Do the counters for IP show any packets sent ?

Volker.
geir_2
Super Advisor

Volker,

Are you running IP over the same interface (UCX SHOW INT) ?

I see that IP use EWA2 and DECnet use EWA1 if i use SDA> SHOW LAN/COUNT. Mabye I should try to rename the circuit on DECnet??

I'm not so familiar with DECnet

Thanks

Geir
Volker Halle
Honored Contributor

Geir,

no, that's o.k. - EWA0 represents the physical interface, the EWAn units each represent one network protocol. Another LAN adapter would be called EWB (in OpenVMS, EWA-1 in DECnet IV).

And SDA> SHOW LAN only shows (1 station) ?!

The counters shown for EWA0 (the physical interface) are cumulative for all protocols. I cannot believe, that IP can send packets, which do not show up in the EWA0 counters in SDA.

Volker.
Hoff
Honored Contributor

Either put the two DECnet nodes into the same DECnet area and try your connectivity tests again, or ensure that there are DECnet area routers configured and available for both of the areas involved (1.* and 2.*), and that the DECnet area routers are adjacent.

You cannot ever connect from DECnet area 1.* into an area 2.* DECnet address without also having intervening DECnet area routers.

Volker Halle
Honored Contributor

Geir,

I also see that you've configured NITFS1 to be an AREA router. Do you have an appropriate DECnet routing license loaded ? It's not necessary to run this node as an area router, an end node would be fine, if the adjacent CISCO acts as an area router for area 2.

Volker.
geir_2
Super Advisor

Hi again,

I have license for the OpenVMS host. At the beginning the VMS node was configured as a end node, and the cisco router have been configured as an area router.

Maybe It's not legal to use area 1 and area 2, when these router er connected together via a IP-tunnel??

Geir

PS:
I also tried to configure both router and VMS node in the same area as remote site, with no effect. It must be something else.

Geir
Hoff
Honored Contributor

Please post the NCP executor settings from each of the four nodes involved. The far-end node, the far-end DECnet router, the near-end DECnet router (Cisco) and the near-end node.

The DECnet routers should be able to see the end-nodes, too.

My most current suspicion is that the near-end box cannot reach the local DECnet (area?) router. This could be addressing, or Cisco-level or a matter of (dis)connectivity otherwise.

geir_2
Super Advisor

Hi Hoff,

It's only four node/router involved. The topology is:

FBUFS1(Openvms, 1.81)
|
|
FBURTR1 (Cisco Area Router, 1.1)
|
| (IP Tunnel ======)
|
NITRTR1 (Cisco Area Router, 2.1)
|
|
NITFS1(OpenVMS, 2.81)

DECnet
FBUFS1 can ping FBURTR1, NITRTR1
FBURTR1 can ping FBUFS1,NITRTR1
NITRTR1 can ping FBURTR1, FBUFS1

If i run show decnet neighbour on NITRTR1 the router seeS(?) NITFS1, but NITFS1 cannot see NITRTR1.

All nodes also run TCP/IP, and everone ping ping each other.

Geir

PS:
Is it necessary to configure both OpenVMS workstation as a area router. How's is it done. I tried follong commands:

ncp> define exec type area

and next time I reboot the computer the type is still configured as non-routing node. Hope you can help me.

Regards Geir

Volker Halle
Honored Contributor

Geir,

to run the VMS node as a DECnet area router, you need a DECnet routing license (DVNETRTG). A DVNETEND license would just allow a DECnet endnode.

I would generally trust the NCP LINE counters and the EWA0 counters shown by SDA, which indicate, that node NITFS1 can not successfully send ANY packets through the EWA LAN interface. All sends fail with 'carrier check failure'.

As you've cloned this node from the other VMS system, please check the counters on FBUFS1 as well. If you also see no packets sent and only carrier check failures, I would tend to a software bug in the counter display, but I can't believe this...

You still have not shown the EWA2 (IP protocol) counters from NITFS1:

SDA> SHOW LAN/DEV=EWA2/COUNT

How about disconnecting the network cable and trying to ping NITFS1 with IP ? Does it still 'work' ?

Volker.