7136 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: DECnet OpenVMS and Cisco

geir_2
Super Advisor

Volker,

If I removed the cable, the ping command doesn't get any aswer from remote nodes/hosts.

Following licenses is installed on the AlphaServer NITFS1: DVNETEXT and DVNETEND. It's the same as FBUFS1. The license is different(other Authorization number at each sites.

If I use following commands I got followings messages/output

$ show network

Node Links Cost Hops Next hop to Node
2.81 NITFS1 2 0 0 (Local) -> 2.81 NITFS1

Looks like a loop. But I dont' know why
Any comments??? Hope so :-)
John Travell
Valued Contributor

A point no-one has picked up, and possibly not relevant, is that you told us about name, IP and DECnet addresses changes, but you did NOT explicitly mention (sysgen param) SCSSYSTEMID.
In DECnet4 this is related to the DECnet address, and a conflict just might stop DECnet working.
JT:
geir_2
Super Advisor

Hi,

Thnaks for the answer. I configured follwong values in sysgen (according to docs)

NITFS1 2.81
SCSSYSTEMID=> 2x1024+81=2129
SCSNODE=NITFS1

At end I run autogen.

Thnaks for input

Regards Geir

PS:
If I run debug on the cisco router, I can see level-2 hello packets from the OpenVMS hosts.

Volker Halle
Honored Contributor

Geir,

sorry for not responding earlier, but I've been on the road for a couple of days. Paying customers are getting serviced first ;-)

If you want me to help you through this forum, you need to provide the information I'm asking for, otherwise I can't do systematic troubleshooting.

My major concern is the fact, that the EWA LAN interface counters on NITFS1 indicate, that this interface does not successfully send any packets. Theoretically, this could be a counter display problem, so I asked you to check SDA> SHOW LAN/COUNT on the other OpenVMS node, from which you've cloned NITFS1. Do you see the same carrier check failures and 0 packets sent on that node as well ?

Also after disconnecting the network cable to NITFS1, I thought about trying to ping that node's IP address from the Cisco router. Being unable to ping other nodes FROM NITFS1 with a disconnected network cable is expected to not work. But I was interested in the fact, if you would still get a ping response when pinging the IP address of NITFS1 with the network cable disconnected, indicating that something else responded to those pings and also supporting the NITFS1 EWA LAN counters about NOT sending any packets at all...

Volker.
geir_2
Super Advisor

Hi,

Thanks for the answer. I have done what you asked me to do (attached document).

I'm obviously not a DECnet expert, the DECnet host is running DECnet IV, maybe the router is confused about it, and should be configured as Level IV area router

Geir
geir_2
Super Advisor

Hi,

Thanks for the answer. I have done what you asked me to do (attached document).

I'm obviously not a DECnet expert, the DECnet host is running DECnet IV, maybe the router is confused about it, and should be configured as Level IV area router

Geir
Volker Halle
Honored Contributor

Geier,

the EWA0 LAN counters on FBUFS1 look o.k. - this interface does successfully receive and send packets.

The same interface counters shown for EWA0 on node NITFS1 earlier did show NO packets sent and all LAN transmits failing with carrier check failed. As both nodes are running the SAME version of OpenVMS, there must be something wrong with the HARDWARE (LAN interface, network cable, switch port). You may argue, that IP works on NITFS1, but DECnet doesn't. The router seems to see DECnet HELLO messages from 2.81 - I also assume these messages stop, when you disconnect the network cable to NITFS1.

Please post SDA> SHOW LAN/COUNT from NITFS1 for all protocols. If the interface tells, that it failed to send any packets, IP packets should get the same error. The interface may report a 'carrier check failure' on every transmission, while it actually sent the data out on the wire. The upper layers may react differently on this status.

Volker.
Ian Miller.
Honored Contributor

You have spent some time (and therefore money) on this problem in this forum.

If these systems are commercially significant it would be more cost affective for you to buy few days consultancy from someone who knows about this sort of thing who can fix the problem and teach you how to deal with it in future.

There are several people who participate here who could do this (some of who have been answering your questions - I'm not one of those people).

Volker,

The output to the command is attached below. Hope the information is to help.

Regards geir

PS:
The OpenVMS host is running Phase IV, and the router is identical at both sites with the following commands:

decnet routing 2.1
decnet node-type area

interface gig 0/0
decnet cost 1

interface tunnel 12
decnet cost 10
geir_2
Super Advisor

Hi again,

I forgot to post the output

Geir