1753792 Members
7529 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: DECnet config problem

Hoff
Honored Contributor

The Cisco widgets are either not configured as DECnet area routers, or not directly connected (adjacent), or the Cisco router devices are not functional, or there is something between the end-node DECnet hosts here and the Cisco DECnet routers that is blocking the protocol traffic between the end nodes to the area routers.

Area routers are the only path between two DECnet areas, and area routers must have adjacent connections with other area routers. Connections between area routers cannot be routed through level one routers. (Well, DECnet area routers can be connected that way, but that's a configuration for another discussion and for another application entirely.)

Is there a reason you have DECnet nodes in two areas and (apparently) no functional area routers? That's a configuration that's rather more complex than usually necessary.

What to do? Examine each DECnet device. Determine if it is configured as required. Ensure the Cisco routers are area routers; level two DECnet routers. Also determine if you have duplicate DECnet addresses -- non-trivial Cisco environments involving virtual LANs and protocol bridging can easily have loops in the network topology, and all manner of weirdness can ensue. If DECnet itself detects a duplicate, you'll get an IVADDR message during DECnet startup. And consider moving to one area with one (or maybe two) level one routers, or with a virtual network.

As for displays:

End-nodes cannot see what's in the area, only the routers can.

End-nodes can display nodes that they know about locally.

Level one routers know about the nodes that are reachable within the router's level one area.

NCP commands commonly used here include SHOW EXEC CHAR and TELL node SHOW EXEC CHAR. You may need to add the requisite username and password specifications to access the remote nodes. You can also display adjacencies, and the EXEC CHAR displays will show if the node is an end-node, level one router, or level two (area) router. You'll also see here if the node is running DECnet Phase IV or DECnet Phase V (DECnet-Plus), as the latter has quite different management and can use different routing.

geir_2
Super Advisor

Hi,

Thanks for the answers. I was not at office last week, It was impossible to answer, and test the proposals. But so far no results.

I discovered on VMS-B that active links was not active. Is the any commands I can use if I want to activate the links and delay.

Volker Halle
Honored Contributor

Geir,

on VMS-B try:

$ MC NCP SHOW EXEC CHAR
$ MC NCP SHOW ACT LINES
$ MC NCP SHOW ACT CIRCUITS

If there is no active circuit (or line), you may not have a valid DECnet license or your configuration is wrong, try:

$ MC NCP SET KNOWN LINES ALL
$ MC NCP SET KNOWN CIRCUITS ALL

and watch for error messages.

Volker.
geir_2
Super Advisor

Hi,

I tried the commands, with no error messages. If I tried

mc ncp> show acti circ

I got followings messages:

EWA-0 on -synchronizing

Any comments??

Geir
Volker Halle
Honored Contributor

Geir,

there may be a physical problem with the LAN interface (EWA) or it's connection to the switch. Check the counters with MC NCP SHOW LINE EWA-0 COUNTERS

You may also try to clear the re-load the DECnet circuit:

$ MC NCP SET CIR EWA-0 STA OFF
$ MC NCP CLEAR CIR EWA-0 ALL
$ MC NCP SET CIRC EWA-0 ALL

Volker.
Volker Halle
Honored Contributor

geir_2
Super Advisor

Volker,

If I removed the cable, the ping command doesn't get any aswer from remote nodes/hosts.

Following licenses is installed on the AlphaServer NITFS1: DVNETEXT and DVNETEND. It's the same as FBUFS1. The license is different(other Authorization number at each sites.

If I use following commands I got followings messages/output

$ show network

Node Links Cost Hops Next hop to Node
2.81 NITFS1 2 0 0 (Local) -> 2.81 NITFS1

Looks like a loop. But I dont' know why
Any comments??? Hope so :-)
Hoff
Honored Contributor

I've certainly seen various loops and whorls within Cisco networks. Ask the local networking folks or the Cisco support folks to look at this network, and about what nodes are located on what VLANs, and at where the packets are going. I would also look at the DECnet adjacencies in the network, as part of this.

"Check your Cisco routing. Most Cisco devices can be set up to route DECnet, or to bridge it; to treat it as its own virtual LAN. You'll need to use the Cisco monitoring to determine what IP and DECnet address(es) are where, and whether this is a routed or bridged configuration."

"This would not be the first Cisco DECnet configuration with routing and bridging/VLAN oddities."
geir_2
Super Advisor

Hi,

Thanks for the answer. I have configured a lot of cisco router with DECnet routing during the last years (without problems)

I can see that the cisco router send out hello Level 2 packet to the ethernet and tunnel interface. The router also receive level 2 packet from NITFs1 and tunnel interface as well.

Maybe I should change type from area to non-routing on NITFS1.

So far a I can see, it must be a VMS problem.

The Router IOS and config is identical at each site. The OpenVMS and DECnet version is identical at each site. I have installed correct license on both VMS nodes.

It must be some NCP commands that solve the problems

Regards Geir :-)

PS:
Maybe i should run a new restore on NITFS1??