1748213 Members
3012 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

DECnet+ copy very slow

JKrucus
Frequent Advisor

Re: DECnet+ copy very slow

The switch port was set to 100 full, no auto negotiate. I have the same issue. The copy is very slow and I am getting alignment errors and frame check errors on the target node.
Jan van den Ende
Honored Contributor

JKrucus,

if you have confirmed that the setting on the card and on the swich agree with one another, and you keep so many error and slow communication, then you prbably need to double-check cabling and connectors.
If you have any possibility, then replace the cable (if only temporarily for testing.

Remember, DecNET _IS_ a robust protocol, it will go to any length to keep your connection going, but the price for that in performance can be high.

hth

Proost.

Have one on me.

jpe
Don't rust yours pelled jacker to fine doll missed aches.
Doug Phillips
Trusted Contributor

I experienced this same phenomenon once when doing a VAX to Alpha upgrade. I could log into the VAX (MV3100) and copy files to the Alpha (DS10) with very good performance. However, if I logged into the Alpha and tried to copy from the VAX the performance was terrible. The two systems were on the same ethernet segment so no switch was involved. I didn't try to solve the problem because my concern was in doing the upgrade but I did think about it for a bit.

I suspected that it had to do with the difference in the two system's performance and that Alpha was seeing the VAX slowness as a problem. I didn't explore it any further, though.

-Doug
comarow
Trusted Contributor

Alignment errors are a serious problem.
Those are errors on the Data Level on NCP.

It is often and incorrect setting match, but it could be a bad card, cable, port, or switch. You can try another cable, port and see what changes. If you still have alignment errors either one of the settings is wrong or you have a hardware issue.

Some cards insist at being set to console level autonegotiate, while other's won't work with autonegotiate turned on. This may or may not be a problem. The network team is an expert on this area.

If not I hope you have a service contract.
If you have a valid serial number, feel free to email me at robert.comarow@hp.com
with contract or serial number information.

We can take it from there. You can also log a call from the itrc site if you wish.

Bob

Jan van den Ende
Honored Contributor

@ Bob Comarow:

Bob, for the Forums etiquette, if not
your own protection:
Please do NOT (ever) issue your email address in plain text.
Use any easily human decryptable description of such address, eg replacing . by "DOT" and @ by "AT", or insert recognisable characters to leave out, etc.
robertDOTcomarowAThpDOTcom works fine for humans, but will escape (most?) email miners.

Proost.

Have one on me.

jpe
Don't rust yours pelled jacker to fine doll missed aches.