New Discussion юеВ

DECnet error while setting host to node synonym, address works

SOLVED
Go to solution
Matthew Booth
Frequent Advisor

DECnet error while setting host to node synonym, address works

-SYSTEM-F-UNREACHABLE, remote node is not currently reachable

I get this message after a long timeout during a $set host from a phase V node to a phase IV node but that a $set host works immediately.

Now a $set host or on the phase IV node to the phase V works every time.

The phase V node is configured as DECdns,Local,Domain. The local netreg database has the correct decnet address defined. DVIP configured. PWIP enabled.

The majority(all) of the other phase V nodes on the same lan can $set host to other phase IV nodes using $set host or works everytime. I've flushed the cache many times, doesn't seem to help.

The phase IV system has a local database with the correct addresses.

I had verified that they all nodes are properly registered in the dns namespace too.

MCR cdi$trace doesn't appear to be much help.

Any tips, hints or other tests to make?

Thanks,
Matt

4 REPLIES 4
Dale A. Marcy
Trusted Contributor

Re: DECnet error while setting host to node synonym, address works

Volker Halle
Honored Contributor
Solution

Matt,

you can force a lookup of the name from the local namespace with

$ SET HOST LOCAL:.

Is the remote Phase IV node correctly registered ? Especially is the entry using :20 (NSP) instead of :21 ?

You can also construct the NET address of the Phase IV node and use

$ SET HOST net$xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Use MC NCL SHOW OSI TRANSPORT LOCAL NSAP * to see how a NSAP looks like.

Volker.
Hoff
Honored Contributor

Given knowledge of your particular network environment, I'd probably choose to move off of DECdns here, or I'd move it to after some other options in the lookup sequence. Probably LOCAL, DOMAIN, DECDNS.

This is probably a DECdns error, or it might be a cache error. But there are various potential triggers.

It's possible you "just" need to flush and reload, as the caches can sometimes get themselves stuffed up.

In NCL:

flush session control naming cache entry "*"

Throw a few parameters at this, too, and see if you can narrow down which source is tossing the error, too:

$ DIR LOCAL:.NODENAME::
$ DIR DOMAIN:NODE.X.Y.Z

You might also be able to use DECNET_REGISTER to poke around in the definitions.

Check to see which route is being used for Phase IV from the DECnet-Plus host. (I'd expect this to work both ways, though, which is why I'm looking more at the name service and related here.)

Check with your coworker Robert, too, as IIRC he has some experience in this area.

Stephen Hoffman
HoffmanLabs LLC
Matthew Booth
Frequent Advisor

I had the DECdns :21 entry removed from the DECdns namespace for the phase IV node by the DECdns registrar and now the short(synonym) works when I $set host from the phase V node.

Thanks to all those that responded!

-Matt