HPE Community read-only access December 15, 2018
This is a maintenance upgrade. You will be able to read articles and posts, but not post or reply.
Hours:
Dec 15, 4:00 am to 10:00 am UTC
Dec 14, 10:00 pm CST to Dec 15, 4:00 am CST
Dec 14, 8:00 pm PST to Dec 15, 2:00 am PST
Operating System - OpenVMS
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DECnet node database

geir_2
Super Advisor

DECnet node database

Hi,

If I want to set up a OpenVMS node to be a area router, I was told I could used the following commands:

$ mc ncp def set exe type area

In the manual I read that it will change the contents of the node database. Does it mean that it will not be necessary to to the command more than once? Do you know the name of the database, and is it possible o read the contents?

I guest that it's not a normal ascii file.

Thanks
7 REPLIES
Jim_McKinney
Honored Contributor

Re: DECnet node database

Haven't used NCP for a long time, but I can see that you've merged two separate commands there (SET and DEFINE).

$ mc ncp def exe type area

will modify the on-disk DECnet database so that the change will persist and be used in future instances of the network, and

$ mc ncp set exe type area

will affect the currently running configuration by setting the node to be any area router.

Someone else can comment as to whether it is necessary to place the executor into a "down" state prior to executing the SET command on the running system.
Ian Miller.
Honored Contributor

I would expect that you would have to restart decnet after changing the executor type.

then do SHOW EXEC CHAR and it should say area.

geir: If you aren't sure whether you have a routing license use:
$@sys$update:vmslicense.com
$! to check for product DVNETEXT
Lawrence
Art Wiens
Respected Contributor

You can't SET the EXECUTOR TYPE characteristic, only DEFINE and that means a restart of Decnet.

Do verify your license before you start.

Just out of curiosity, why do you want to make it a routing node? What other problem are you trying to solve?

Art
geir_2
Super Advisor

Hi,

I have two VMSservers, if one of them break down, I want DECnet traffic to contiunue. Today the traffic stopped, because one of the server was not a area router.

Geir
Thomas Ritter
Respected Contributor

Geir, please describe your network topology. Running VMS hosts with different decnet areas is not really required anymore. Since TCPIP became the WAN protocol of choice in he VMS area Decnet AREA routing is rare. But maybe you have a special requirement.
Why not have all the hosts in the same area and have multiple interface on the same segment. Then by using Line and Circuit Costs you can handle interface failures.

I await your response.
geir_2
Super Advisor

Hi,

Thanks to all of you. Executor type was set to non-routing node. If I changed the area type to a area route, then my problem disappeared.

I should know that, but thanks again to all of you.

Geir